Fish died shortly after taking home

carefulest

Hi all,

I bought 6 pygmy cories and an oto today. They looked good at the store and I took them out of the bag and drip acclimated them (control valve method) for 3 hours and then emptied them into a quarantine tub with dechlorinated tap water at room temperature.

When they got to the tub they mostly hid behind the filter or next to a rock. A few hours later the cories all died. They would swim around then all of a sudden hang listlessly upside down. After another few hours they started to smell bad so I could tell they were really dead.

The oto seems to be stressed but otherwise OK.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? What could this be?

Yes. The one batch I ordered came from soft water I have hard. This same thing happened to 2 of 6 over 2 days. Pygmy don’t handle stress well or extreme water parameters changes even when properly acclimated was my guess. The other 4 are still with me thriving. The other 2 batches I got from harder water sources all did fine without issue. I’ve never medicated any of them and they are all still thriving so my assumption was they did not have bacterial or parasitic issues. All of this is just my assumptions based on what I witnessed. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I saw a video of Irene where this happened as well. But she lost hers over the course of a week or more whereas all mine happened within a few hours. I wonder if it could be that mythical cory poisoning?

Probably won't try again with this species. Really sad.

Aww. @carefulest this totally sucks. It does happen but I understand why you're discouraged with a species. I had a similar thing happen with Otos- I bought 7 and lost 6 of them within a week. I ended up getting another 7 from a different source and eventhough those ended up having Ich as soon as I got them home (which of course I treated) they all survived. They're even breeding (I have a "million" of them now) There was a reason these passed, if you figure out why it may never happen again. Even Cory says this is a reality of the hobby- you are going to lose (even kill- accidentally of course) fish. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1