Sudden Krib death

Flumpweesel

Well when the lights came on today I discovered my male Krib floating. No signs of disease or damage.

Would anyone know if this is likely to be due to females behaviour? He'd been mainly in or guarding the cave recently while she has been about feeding. I hadn't seen him feed for a day or two. Has he staved or stressed himself out due to her absenteeism?

They never seemed to successfully spawn I'd got him about 9 months she was added about 2 months ago and they paired up within minutes of her getting in the tank.

Just to confirm the water parameters are good and normal for tank. Community planted tank.

I currently don't think I'll get her a new male she seems quite hard on boys.

• Sad 2

Not sure - my kribs fault a lot before they paired (maybe 4 weeks); but never had much indication of damage. The one thing that concerns me is that if they did not successfully breed for a while then it is possible one decided to drive the other away in hope of a more viable mate but i'm not sure if that is consistent with kribs behavior as it is with some other cichlid.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if she got frustrated and is now hoping for a better prospect.  She is certainly swimming around in full colours and keeping the cave mouth open.  Still this wasn't really a breeding project just thought it would be an interesting watch, so she can embrace celibacy for awhile.  

On 11/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, anewbie said:

you could try another male if they are readily available. I had mine in a 40 breeder community aquarium. Once  a bond forms it is pretty strong and they will behave well.

they are normally available at my preferred LFS will probably eventually add another as I try to avoid single fish generally.