Bubbles on water surface

Zac

(Yes I’m aware I posted this in the wrong area haha) First of all, don’t mind the dirty water cuz I just took the basket out of my HOB filter and squeezed out the media. Anyways, as you can see in the picture, I have bubbles on the surface of my tank. I don’t think it’s protein foam because water parameters are fine and I just did a thorough gravel vac yesterday. I know the bubbles can also be caused by dirty media (hence why I squeezed out the media in my filter) but my filter has only been up for maybe a month because it’s a new filter. Also I know they can be caused by disturbances in the water’s surface. I’ve had these here for a good 2 weeks probably and they don’t really get any worse than this…but they’re ugly and if I can get rid of them I would like to. But if I can’t, oh well. Anyone know how I can get rid of these if I can?

497A0735-3B53-43BA-B802-69821B0635CD.jpeg

Edited by Zac
Posted in wrong area of forum

Have you used any meds lately? Sometimes they can cause bubbles, although those don’t look like med bubbles. They look like just bubbles made by your HOB that haven’t popped yet. And it looks like you don’t have much surface agitation other than the flow of your HOB. Maybe try air stone or a small circulator pointed at the surface of the water to create agitation. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 12:44 PM, Atitagain said:

Have you used any meds lately? Sometimes they can cause bubbles, although those don’t look like med bubbles. They look like just bubbles made by your HOB that haven’t popped yet. And it looks like you don’t have much surface agitation other than the flow of your HOB. Maybe try air stone or a small circulator pointed at the surface of the water to create agitation. 

I thought about that and yeah I treated it about 2 weeks ago. But I’ve done 1 20% water change, 1 10%, and 1 50%/gravel vac. So I don’t think the meds are the issue anymore. I could try an air stone but honestly my biggest question was just wondering what they were. If they get worse I’ll hook up an air stone and see if that helps 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, StockEwe49 said:

I agree with @Atitagain about the surface agitation, maybe there just isn't a lot? They could also be coming from pearling plants, but I would guess it is more from the HOB and then the bubbles just sit there. They look fairly large that's why I wouldn't think it would be from pearling.

I can safely say it’s not pearling because I don’t have live plants at the moment but nonetheless now I know what to look out for with real plants when I get them!

• Haha 1

I apologize for the quick post earlier but was interrupted and wanted to share that info. One thing I have found recently since raising pleco babies  is once so much food etc is dissolved in my water even though all parameters test great is I get that foamy stuff. I do a flush (a series of 2-3 back to back water changes) to rid the tank of it. It is the only time I have seen that outside of the things mentioned in the coop video I posted. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

I apologize for the quick post earlier but was interrupted and wanted to share that info. One thing I have found recently since raising pleco babies  is once so much food etc is dissolved in my water even though all parameters test great is I get that foamy stuff. I do a flush (a series of 2-3 back to back water changes) to rid the tank of it. It is the only time I have seen that outside of the things mentioned in the coop video I posted. 

I’m assuming the small amount I have isn’t an issue correct? If I reduce feeding to once a day and do a regular water change schedule, should it go away assuming the food is the cause?

That I could not say. I had a heard of new baby BN in the tank so changed water heavily both times I seen it. If it were me I would water change as better safe than sorry. Mystery things make me nervous. 

And at least use some prime as a caution against ammonia and nitrite