Over my head?

lindabee53

On 10/26/2021 at 4:32 AM, lindabee53 said:

To everyone who offered support, encouragement, and information:  many thanks!

I have decided to pass on the cichlid tank.  I still think it sounds interesting, but it isn't what I want.  I want my small tank which is enough added work for me, but not so much that it'll cut into my reading, quilting, crocheting time.  Plus, I was just appointed to our town's Library Board of Trustees - not a prestigious position, trust me, but still a time sink.

So, no cichlids, and my boss is disappointed.  

Well done on thinking about it and not just agreeing and regretting down the road.  Maybe you can help your boss rehome it elsewhere. 

And congrats on being a trustee. 

• Thanks 1

I'm just now seeing this, but I'm glad you're feeling better.  I was going to say that a 65 gallon tank is a great size, and I really enjoy mine, but I see you've decided to pass on it.

By the way, I guess orange is okay (my son went there), but I prefer maroon (my daughter went there, and I work for the System).

• Like 2

On 10/26/2021 at 9:11 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm just now seeing this, but I'm glad you're feeling better.  I was going to say that a 65 gallon tank is a great size, and I really enjoy mine, but I see you've decided to pass on it.

By the way, I guess orange is okay (my son went there), but I prefer maroon (my daughter went there, and I work for the System).

I don't much care for either color.  I bleed Carolina blue!  😉

And thank you.  Feeling better is better than not.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 11:25 PM, lindabee53 said:

@Jawjagrrl My youngest quit his PhD at the thesis stage, too.  He decided that he just didn't want to write another one and wouldn't need it for what he wanted to do.  His life, his choice, no matter what my mother said.  😉

You know, much as I'd like to have fish, my tank isn't ready and I'm okay with that.  Things are moving pretty slowly, but they are moving. 

Are photos of your tanks in here somewhere?  I'd love to see them.  I should learn how to take photos and post them.

Just general information:  in my next life, I will be taller so I can reach over the top of my tank without getting a step stool out.

A HS friend that was the last person you'd imagine going to grad school did - and was working on a PhD in macrobiology. JUst quit one day. I asked why (I was midway through my MFA at that point and starting to have my doubts) and he simply said he realized he "didn't give a ___ what fish ate". 🙃 But he's now doing some sort of stem cell research that might lead to growing replacement parts one day - he is the type to surf and lose a leg to a shark, so perhaps it's now self-interest...

As for my tanks, there are a few pics here and there on various threads I've started or commented upon (like the kuhli thread recently), but no galleries or anything. I've not taken the time yet to learn how the journals work but need to as a thread I started on shrimp has become a de facto journal - one was ready to breed then dropped eggs - then molted. 2 more have saddles now and I'm hoping i have any males at all. My kuhli/betta tank is in my intro post and my rasbora/betta setup appears in an alage thread I opened. Will have to aim for some pictures as the tanks mature a bit more.

Tank maintenance isn't as easy for more height-challenged people for sure. I'm pretty tall and the 55 cleaning involved tiptoes and full arms in to the armpit sometimes. That right there might have been a good reason to pass on a 65 actually. fish can be rehomed and a large tank is often easier to maintain than smaller ones (my 5s take more time per week than my 55s ever did). But the physical aspects of getting around in a bigger tank can be challenging. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries that have all failed over time and I do need to bear that in mind as I consider setting those up again. 

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:00 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

A HS friend that was the last person you'd imagine going to grad school did - and was working on a PhD in macrobiology. JUst quit one day. I asked why (I was midway through my MFA at that point and starting to have my doubts) and he simply said he realized he "didn't give a ___ what fish ate". 🙃 But he's now doing some sort of stem cell research that might lead to growing replacement parts one day - he is the type to surf and lose a leg to a shark, so perhaps it's now self-interest...

My wife's cousin lost a leg in a motorcycle accident and decided to become a nurse.

On 10/27/2021 at 10:00 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

maintenance isn't as easy for more height-challenged people for sure. I'm pretty tall and the 55 cleaning involved tiptoes and full arms in to the armpit sometimes. That right there might have been a good reason to pass on a 65 actually. fish can be rehomed and a large tank is often easier to maintain than smaller ones (my 5s take more time per week than my 55s ever did). But the physical aspects of getting around in a bigger tank can be challenging. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries that have all failed over time and I do need to bear that in mind as I consider setting those up again. 

I have a stool that's about 16" high, and I'm not ashamed to use it when I need to work in my 65.  By the way, I use a 2.5 gallon bucket for water changes, not a 5.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2

@JettsPapa I can't use a 5-gallon bucket, but I do have a 2.5.  The most I can actually handle without spilling everywhere is 2.  And I use a 10" stool just to get into my 20 gallon tank.  I'm not terribly short, but if you're under 5'3" you really are slightly height challenged.

@Jawjagrrl I noticed that Game 5 is this evening and the Braves are still leading.  

On 10/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, lindabee53 said:

@JettsPapa I can't use a 5-gallon bucket, but I do have a 2.5.  The most I can actually handle without spilling everywhere is 2.  And I use a 10" stool just to get into my 20 gallon tank.  I'm not terribly short, but if you're under 5'3" you really are slightly height challenged.

@Jawjagrrl I noticed that Game 5 is this evening and the Braves are still leading.  

For me it's the shoulder injury - can't lift much past chest level as the top tendon disconnected.

And yes, exciting game last night. We'll see tonight if we're traveling back to Houston or not. Some awesome double plays on both sides and it may be a bullpen match in the end. Dawgs and Hokies won yesterday too, so a happy sports weekend at our house.