Asian Water Fern

Tanked

Last week I decided to take a chance and replace the dead African Water Fern purchased last year. Like last year, no matter what criteria I searched for, google would not identify my plant.  Searching for African or Asian Water Ferns  always returned Bolbitis Heudelotii.  As a last resort I did a general search here, and found several, including @Guppysnail's mention of the Asian Water Fern.  Like magic, google😎 suddenly knew I was looking for Bolbitis Heteroclita.

What are your experiences with this plant?  Now I have a plant with babies and a name, How do I take care of it?  The plant is already showing some deterioration, but  I've read that the parent plant tends to die off and the new plants continue. 

Asian Water Fern.jpg

• Like 1

They are identical care as Java fern for me. Same light sane don’t put rhizome covered etc. I’m glad you found it. I don’t know all the fancy names of plants just common ones. Yes the babies consume the original parent plant that was grown emersed. The new plants however that are grown submerged in my tanks just release the babies and continue to do well

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

They are identical care as Java fern for me. Same light sane don’t put rhizome covered etc. I’m glad you found it. I don’t know all the fancy names of plants just common ones. Yes the babies consume the original parent plant that was grown emersed. The new plants however that are grown submerged in my tanks just release the babies and continue to do well

I don't worry about the fancy names either.  My LFS often tends to label their plants as whatever the vendor says they are.  My crypt is a bunch, my Anubia Nana is not Petite, and my African Water Fern is named after the wrong continent.  The original plant did not make it for whatever reasons, so I wanted to be relatively sure what plant I was dealing with and give this one the best possible chance for survival.

• Like 1