One of my bettas is pineconing, any advice?

Ember

One of my bettas has had a large stomach for a while, which I’ve been trying to reduce.  However, I looked today and it appears that he is pineconing.  Is there anything that I can do at this point?  He still swims around, but spends a lot of his time just resting on top of stuff at the surface.  This is my first time dealing with this, so I’m a little lost. 

Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero, my nitrates are hanging around twenty.  (It’s water change day today anyways)

Pictures: https://imgur.com/gallery/iLaB5lX

• Administrators

It could be an internal organ issue like the beginning of kidney failure, which can cause them to bloat like that. I have never had good success when a fish gets to this stage. Hopefully someone else here has a successful remedy.

What I would do is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 1 gallon that will help reduce the fluid buildup and treat with kanaplex is a good antibiotic for kidney disease or possible internal bacterial infection 

Edited by Colu

• 3 weeks later...

Did you have any luck?  My betta just started pineconing today. He'd also had a large belly for a few days, so I'd been fasting him since I initially thought it was due to constipation, but his energy levels were still up. Then he didn't come out much yesterday (but wasn't pineconing), and today I checked on him and he's pineconing pretty severely on one side.  

I've been consistent with water changes and parameters have been normal. I did a few smaller, extra water changes when I noticed his bloated belly too.