Aquascaping my Established 60 Gallon Tank

Is there anything I need to know?  I have a 60 gal tank with gravel and artificial plants-I have about 8 really hardy fish-they've been through a lot-2 Rainbowfish, 3 tetras, 2 rasboras and a pleco.. I want to kick it up a notch.  I just bought a beautiful piece of manzanita that will stretch about 2/3 of the way across the aquarium (I covered it with  boiling water and now it's soaking-it's in a clean big garbage can). I have collected up some nice rocks-I got some slate pieces from Amazon and some petrified wood and assorted other rocks from my dad's collection (the rocks have all been scrubbed with a brush and are soaking) I'll check the rocks with some vinegar before I actually use them. My plan is that next week I'll do my 20% water change and gently put the driftwood and a few rocks into the tank (the fish will still be in it), add water to the top and see how it goes. A week or so after that, I'll order some live plants and add them. Is my timeline OK? I don't want to stress the fish out any more than I need to. Any suggestions are appreciated.