Tap Water Parameters

lindabee53

Right off the bat, I'll say that I've never tested for this much "stuff."  I didn't test for ammonia - it's my tap water.

Yes, I know I need to do more reading, but if anyone can give me any tips, I'd be so grateful.

Nitrate    - 0

Nitrite     - 0

GH          - between 75 - 150   -   I can't distinguish between the two colors.

Chlorine - between 1.0 and 2.0   -   Again, I can't distinguish between the two colors.

KH          - 300

pH          - 8.4

Edited by lindabee53
I hit the wrong key and it posted.

There's something called a "Master Test Kit," made by a company called API. A lot of people buy the kit as a one-step way to get started with all the basic parameters. (I ended up buying all the same tests, but individually.) 

Edited to add: Tap water often has ammonia in it, so it actually does need tested. (Annoying, I know.)

Edited by CalmedByFish

I prefer the Master Test Kit by API, but the Aquarium Coop test strips are accurate for everything except my pH (why oh why? :classic_sad:). I have well water, so that might impact it. Anyways, chloramine can also read as ammonia, and some cities use chloramine as a part of their water treatment.

For pH accuracy, I would recommend either the master test kit or an electronic pH reader.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, lindabee53 said:

So the dip strips aren't good to use?

Well, I've seen a lot of posts here where people are asking about getting different numbers from the strips and the liquid test kits. The general consensus on those posts is to assume the liquid test kit is the right one. 

I do have the ammonia test strips, to use during a long move I have upcoming. But even so, they read ammonia as 0 until it hits 0.5, which for some species, is too high to be safe. 

To my understanding, test strips serve the purpose of a quick good guess, while liquid test kits serve the purpose of giving a few minutes to get accuracy. Sometimes that's fine, sometimes that's not.

Thank you!  You're an absolute font of good information.  I guess a liquid test kit will be next on my list.

Seriously, I thought this would be a bit easier (cue the laughter), so I don't know what's wrong with my brain that I'm not kicking the aquarium to the curb.  I find myself saying, "Okay, change of plans."