please identify

rw519

Could someone help me identify this fish it looks amazing! Any tips on how to keep it, size, temperament etc would be greatly appreciated. At first glance I thought it was a redbelly dace but 🤷‍♂️🤔

It was featured in a tank with moenkhausia uiarapuru. Thanks for the help fish keepers!

20211007_192112.jpg

Edited by rw519

I second @rw519's I.D. just make sure you have enough room for them as they are a leporinus which average around 7-10" typically. Based on some light research they seem to have a similar temperament to the much more popular banded leporinus. So peaceful and fairly active swimmers. Both species hail from the Amazon river basin so water parameters should be acidic-neutral with lower gH and kH. They appear to be wild caught still.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Due to their size I've decided not to trying and hunt some of these bad boys down but it's still a neat looking fish regardless. If anybody does have a tank with them please post some pics and your experience keeping them

On 10/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I need new glasses! Apologies for posting a completely wrong specimen! Now down this new rabbit hole... 🤪

No worries, I thought it was some type of dace at first..lol

On 10/7/2021 at 9:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Could be this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nannostomus_marginatus

They can both be found in Brazil.

That's a neat fish as well. I like the color scheme 😎