Aquarium Manufacturers

MNG

Looking to purchase a fairly large (80 to 140 gallons) aquarium. Wondering what manufacturers you folks might recommend. I currently have a 65 gallon from Seapora, which is excellent quality. However, that brand is hard to come by in my area.

The local stores all stock Aqueon - I suppose because they are cheap. But I have seen too many horror stories about Aqueon tanks (suddenly cracking or shattering, etc) to feel comfortable with them.

What might you recommend? Do you think Aqueon is OK?

Tnx Much!

I personally would not have an Aqueon tank above a 40 breeder and that one is even pushing it for my comfort level! A lot of people will tell me im crazy but that my choice. 

DOnt ask me who I would use...all of the names from long ago have either all disappeared or been taken over by lesser quality companies!

• Like 1

When I saw that on the Aqueon 40 breeder there is a bow to the tank front and back glass of almost 1/8 inch and that is their design spec....now I know that doesnt seem like a lot but if your going to go without a center brace how much more could it have cost to go 1/16 thicker on the front and back panel glass?!? 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:59 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m not sure about your area but they seem to be in many of the stores here in the Northwest. 

Haven't seen that name in these parts - northern NY. The LFS deals in Seapora and the rest - all big box stores - seem to only have Aqueon.

On 10/2/2021 at 3:08 PM, ARMYVET said:

a bow to the tank front and back glass of almost 1/8 inch and that is their design spec....now I know that doesn't seem like a lot

Sounds like a lot to me - the more water you're dealing with, the more critical it is because of the weight and stress. 

Aqueon is cheap because they cut corners. I sure hope you don't end up being another Aqueon horror story.  Petco deals entirely in Aqueon, if I'm not mistaken. On their website you can see many reviews - about Aqueon tanks suddenly cracking or shattering without warning or provocation. People coming home to find 10 or 20 gallons of water on the floor and all the fish dead. 😪

On 10/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, MNG said:

Sounds like a lot to me - the more water you're dealing with, the more critical it is because of the weight and stress. 

Aqueon is cheap because they cut corners. I sure hope you don't end up being another Aqueon horror story.  Petco deals entirely in Aqueon, if I'm not mistaken. On their website you can see many reviews - about Aqueon tanks suddenly cracking or shattering without warning or provocation. People coming home to find 10 or 20 gallons of water on the floor and all the fish dead. 😪

Exactly.  I have 18 Aqueon tanks all 20 gallons or less.  I need 2x 40 gal breeders for fry grow out tanks and don't know what I'm going to do for those.  I might (unless I can find another option) take the chance on the Aqueon only because they will be in a fish room with concrete floors so no damage...worse I would lose is the grow out fry.  But I will never go with them for ANYTHING LARGER.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:24 PM, ARMYVET said:

I need 2x 40 gal breeders for fry grow out tanks and don't know what I'm going to do for those.

If, like me, your local options are very limited, try looking around online. You can find vendors who will ship an aquarium. But the shipping can be expensive- try to find a vendor as close to you as possible.

Maybe just call somebody regional on the phone and talk it over. That's what I'm probably going to do - call a place that's about 150 miles away that has what I want. I'd rather not drive down there - but maybe they will bring it to me. AFAIK Amazon only has Aqueon.