RyanR

Has anyone cared for freshwater mussels and can offer some advice.  I did some searching, but didn't find a lot except to hear that if they die, they can pollute a tank quickly.  My LFS had them and they were cheap, so I got 1.  He said they can live in 80° water, but he said to try one first.

Edited by RyanR

10 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Sorry but I don't know anything past what you already mentioned. I have always wanted to get one. Are you having good luck with it so far? Keep me posted!

I've only had the one mussel for a couple of days, so it's hard to tell if it's going good or not.  I haven't seen it open yet, but I don't look at the tank all day.

Mussels are a filter feeder I've had a few the longest one has ever lasted for me was in a year. They eat green water and plankton but because of the fact that they don't move a lot means that they can live a long time without eating. They also dig so they should not be kept in planted tanks because they will up root things in the night. Also when they die it is almost impossible to tell they died and they rot very quickly and that can cause huge spikes in ammonia. They are cool but they are not a very good fit for most hobbyist.