Medium Sized Pleco for 150 Oscar Tank

Zac

Hello,

I’m looking to set up a 150 gallon tank with a pair of Oscar’s and a pleco. But I don’t want a common pleco because my tank would be too small. Debating between the blue phantom or gold nugget. Does anyone know any other species of pleco that grows somewhere between 7-10 inches besides those two?

Thanks!

I think either of the phantoms (blue or green) are great options! Red-tail leopards will also fit your size requirement or if you want to stretch it just a fair bit a red cactus maxes out at about 13". 

You really can't go wrong with any of them, I find plecos of all shapes and sizes to be quite personable. Another rare oddball you won't find often is the sunshine pleco, they are gorgeous in person. Little rich for my blood at around $150.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 3

A gibbiceps or sailfin pleco could be an option for you also. They get up to 20" long but stop there. In a 150 that's not too big. They're nice fish too. I had one twenty or so years ago. They're not terribly pricey ($10 and up), quite hardy, tough, long-lived (10-15 years.) If you've got a big enough tank (and a 150 is big enough) they'd be a good option also.

• Like 1