Dwarf Aquarium Lily

sairving

I have a dwarf aquarium lily that only seems to send growth to the surface of the tank.  All the leaves grow to the surface right away.  The plant has plenty of light and nutrients.  I don't mind a few lily pads but don't want them taking over the top of the tank. 

Should I be trimming them off?  If I do that will it stop sending growth straight to the surface?

It seems for the bottom leaves it takes a while for them to get going. If you want to cut the Lilly’s you can or let as many grow out as you want then keep it trimed to suit you. Will keeping them cut back now help your bottom to get going faster? I just waited and it happened but then again I was more interested in getting the Lilly’s up there.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, Atitagain said:

It seems for the bottom leaves it takes a while for them to get going. If you want to cut the Lilly’s you can or let as many grow out as you want then keep it trimed to suit you. Will keeping them cut back now help your bottom to get going faster? I just waited and it happened but then again I was more interested in getting the Lilly’s up there.

I may leave a few lilly pads to see if they flower. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

You have to cut them off before they reach the surface as soon as you see them making a run. Eventually, the plant will stay more compact.

Also, increasing light intensity, if you can, will help.

I just moved it into the new tank and used the same light from the 5 gallon.  Now, I think the tank is more lowlight than medium light.  

• Like 1