Mysterious Red Spot (Adult Male Guppy)

Chris C.

Hi everyone,
Reaching out because one of our adult male guppies has developed a strange red spot on the tail (He has no red coloring normally).
A few months ago, after bringing the tank home from school when my school shut down for CoVid, we had a different guppy (adult male, same basic coloring/type) that also developed a red spot and quickly passed. At the time, we thought it was in part due to the relocation, the poor water quality (I was uninformed and an idiot... I've since learned) and the fact that the adult females we had at the time had just given birth and WAY over-populated the tank.

We've since re-homed the adult females and the babies, and moved the males into a new tank, with clean gravel, updated the filter, and gotten a heater that actually works, and the tank has been fully cycled for months (since we made all of those changes). The most recent change was the addition of some new fish almost 2 months ago (they were Qt'ed by our LFS for us and none have shown any signs of any diseases, and we medicated the tank).
We had no problems until yesterday when this poor guy started hiding a lot and we spotted that spot on his tail.

Tank stats:

• 15 gallon
  • 5 Adult Male Guppies
  • 12 Neon Green Tetras (We should be around 80% capacity according to the calculation website I used that showed up as a recommendation on this page at some point).
  • Vallisneria, Cryptocoryne Parva, Java Moss, and Java Fern for live plants.
  • Plenty of space for fish to hide when needed
  • No Ammonia according to the test kit
  • No/low Nitrites/Nitrates (hard to read my scribbled notes)
  • Ph 8.4

The males, rarely, if ever fight, and this one doesn't ever even play rough (I've called him the mature one, since he doesn't get involved in petty fish squabbles).
Current guess is some form of Fin Rot, we have some antibiotics that we can use to treat that, but we're hoping someone can either confirm, or inform us of what it actually is.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Chris C.

I can't say I've seen this before, so I am going off of what I have heard from others. Generally, increasing temp and adding aquarium salt will help most maladies. Since bacterial infections can cause death the quickest (when compared to fungus or parasites,) you are better off treating for that first, in my opinion. Especially since the previous guppy died soon after presenting the same symptoms. I think fin rot is a good guess, the red could be blood trying to clot. I'd like to hear from someone more experienced but I saw your post was unanswered since yesterday and diseases often require a fast response.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Glad to know that it's mysterious to not just us. We're going to start the Maracyn we have now (and I'll order some more as well so that we have it next time).

Would love any more suggestions/information from anyone else. The spot is still there, though slightly faded and possibly a bit more spread. We haven't caught him hiding in the same tight spot again, but he has been a bit less out and about still than normal.

Our current sick male is still eating, but the one we lost when I first brought the tank home stopped eating. It never progressed on that deceased one beyond the one red spot and the unusual hiding behavior and not eating.

The other guppies weren't affected after the first one fell ill, this is the first time we've seen it since we lost him. The current male hasn't given us a good look at his tail recently, so we're not 100% on the status of the red spot. We've only ever seen the red spots on the tail, never on the body.

It seems like the red spot has gone away, but he's still lethargic and hangs out at the bottom of the tank, basically right on the gravel... He does perk up and swim up to eat during feedings.

The coloration on his tail has gotten lighter and less distinct now as well.

9 hours ago, Chris C. said:

It seems like the red spot has gone away, but he's still lethargic and hangs out at the bottom of the tank, basically right on the gravel... He does perk up and swim up to eat during feedings.

The coloration on his tail has gotten lighter and less distinct now as well.

Well, I guess that seems like an improvement. Keep up the treatment I guess, perhaps increase the salt concentration (as described by the Co-op article.)

Sad final update.

He stayed lethargic and hidden most of the rest of his life. We completed the maracyn treatment, the red spot disappeared, and he ate during feeding yesterday, but we found his body just now.

If anyone knows what this is or might be, we'd like to know, since it's now taken 2 fish about 6 months apart.

Maybe he was just old, he's one of the originals that were given to me by the school district, so I don't know where he came from or how old he was.

He lasted almost 2 weeks after we noticed the spot though, so clearly something we did this time worked better than for the first fish (who passed within 48 hours of us noticing the spot).

Edited by Chris C.
  • Sad 1