Looking for Figure 8 Puffers

Wolf1

I'm looking redo one of my 55's into a Figure 8 puffer specific tank but am having a horrible time locating the puffers...anyone have any suggestions on possible sources?? Did the usual online searches but only a couple of places have them and they looked pretty sketchy.

My LFS was able to get mine in for me - I thought about ordering online, but a lot of the times they don't even have the right species in the picture! I saw lots of Green Spotted or Ceylon puffers listed as Figure 8's, and vice-versa.

LiveAquaria has them in stock right now - they're not my favorite online vendor, for sure, but I've always had decent luck with their customer service and shipments. 

Regardless, I don't think I've ever seen them look healthy from stores, unfortunately. Always kept in freshwater, usually underweight, sometimes with ich/flukes, etc. Mine perked up almost immediately once I got him home and acclimated him into brackish SG.

F83.JPG.c675d79ca02cf4a65ea5577716d15d0e.JPG

Edited by Zenzo

Aqua huna rotates through puffers it seems, so you could wait for them as they are a sponsor of aquarium co-op.

Figure 8's are the only mid brackish I've been able to locate other than scat and monos. Of course I live in Seattle so exotics aren't hard to come by in good condition here. 

Edited by Zenzo

• Administrators
On 9/28/2021 at 7:48 AM, Wolf1 said:

I'm looking redo one of my 55's into a Figure 8 puffer specific tank but am having a horrible time locating the puffers...anyone have any suggestions on possible sources?? Did the usual online searches but only a couple of places have them and they looked pretty sketchy.

Some online sellers can be less than stellar (I am being tactful). I would recommend thoroughly researching online sellers and reading reviews before choosing them.

With that being said, Figure 8s should be easy to come by. If you have a local fish store, they should be able to order some for you. I love my figure 8. He lives in my brackish mudskipper tank (they do better in brackish water).