My Aquatic Vivariums

Atitagain

On 1/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, Atitagain said:

@Torrey very interesting, such great information. Thank you 

Do you think most plants come with scuds? Would most planted tanks have scuds in them IYO? Scuds are also called water fleas I’ve read somewhere, am I right? I’ve done a little research on them. They will definitely be something I’ll be researching and hopefully feeding to some fry.😁

I have found it is easier and cheaper to get scuds from the fish store if the plants were in a tank😁

I have yet to get any scuds from the Co-op, as I quarantine plants like I quarantine fish after my planaria outbreak. (Yes, I now grow them on purpose for homeschoolers to use for biology, I didn't get them on purpose).

The larger, dark ones (scuds) will attack freshly molted shrimp. The smaller white ones seemed to leave my shrimp alone (I got those from Carolina Biological Supplies). My understanding was daphnia are called water fleas, of course I was told that by the same person who told me amphopods are seed shrimp, and that was inaccurate, so🤷‍♂️

On 1/5/2022 at 8:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

Your 125 is looking amazing. When I need microfauna for food I set up a tank and squeeze every sponge filter and prefilter sponge into it with a cycled sponge filter for filtration and a handful if dirty gravel scooped up with a cup to get the critters. I feed fry food first bites north fin fry or sera micron in 1/5 of a moistened toothpick dipped in food daily with a small piece of lettuce left to rot replaced when gone and just let it get UGLY. You won’t get scuds this way but tons of rhabdocoela and microfauna after a week and  start to get really active after about two weeks.  Not sure if that helps you but it makes a dynamite fry tank. 

ORD🥰

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:24 PM, Atitagain said:
  • Oscars are what hooked me into this hobby, I’ve been keeping tanks for 30 years off and on. Every time I always have an Oscar such a wonderful fish. And now of course I’m Atitagain with another Oscar in this Aquatic Vivarium

I started with Mbuna in one 55 and an oscar like yours in another 55 gal. I really loved him most, but we know these days that a big tank is better than what i did in the 90s. But my Dad was early into fish (early 60s) and loved taking me to this one resturant in town that had a bunch of tanks with wild oscars - it was the early 70s. I was obsessed with those fish, spending as much of the meal as allowed away from the table and watching them. It has stick with me ever since! 

• Love 2

On 1/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

I started with Mbuna in one 55 and an oscar like yours in another 55 gal. I really loved him most, but we know these days that a big tank is better than what i did in the 90s. But my Dad was early into fish (early 60s) and loved taking me to this one resturant in town that had a bunch of tanks with wild oscars - it was the early 70s. I was obsessed with those fish, spending as much of the meal as allowed away from the table and watching them. It has stick with me ever since! 

😁that’s awesome! Oscars are a love of mine they are such a puppy-fish. I would have loved to see that . There’s a restaurant close to us that has a gigantic mbuna tank, it has to be 1000+ gallons. My wife gives me a hard time if we sit in view of it about how my attention will wonder off and I’ll be starring at the tank.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, Atitagain said:

😁that’s awesome! Oscars are a love of mine they are such a puppy-fish. I would have loved to see that . There’s a restaurant close to us that has a gigantic mbuna tank, it has to be 1000+ gallons. My wife gives me a hard time if we sit in view of it about how my attention will wonder off and I’ll be starring at the tank.

My husband would expect it 😄 He still remembers the big cylinder tank of mbuna at the entrance to an aquarium we visited on vacation - seems to have had more impact on his memory than the sharks and other more "impressive" displays! I've explained that having an oscar is about as close as having a puppy that prefers living under water.

• Like 1