Ack!

Marcy

Help! Whatever this is is killing off all of my life bearers! I noticed him dying off a couple days ago and I thought it might’ve been the assassin snail that’s in my tank but I don’t think it is. I’ve seen these in my substrate but I thought they were just Demetrious wormsI noticed him dying off a couple days ago and I thought it might’ve been the assassin snail that’s in my tank but I don’t think it is. I’ve seen these in my substrate but I thought they were just Demetrious worms or whatever they’re called. or whatever they’re called.

FAFD4B11-834A-491C-BDE5-D76E14028D12.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I’m still having this problem. I have two juveniles left, one with one of these things hanging off his tail. 

ph 8

0 ammonia 

0 nitrates

nitrites 0-25 

don’t have anything to test hardness. 

temp now is 76. I got a new tank with a heater and it doesn’t have number on the dial and I had apparently turned it up all the way and it was up to 100°. Anyway, it’s at 76 currently, but ideal is 78-80

tank size is 20g

no substrate

i can figure out what these are. 
they’re not eating, this one swims on the bottom, the other that has no visible worms swims at the top. I had 5 of these on Sunday. I’m down to 2. 

2DA710C0-283E-456A-99E9-410BDFD7329A.jpeg

I would treat with fish aid fish fenbendazole if you can't get this I would treat with fritz expel p active ingredient is levamisole @Marcy401989323_Screenshot_20211022-0003462.png.27211305fb78abc4232031be38c41a58.pngif you have the stomach for you could manual remove it with tweezers it not safe to use with shrimp and snails in the tank

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

thanks @Colu I will look for both of these today. I actually did remove three of them last night with a tweezers. But I’m worried about the rest of the tank. Like do I need to throw everything out? I don’t want eggs or pupae. And if I transfer my snails to another tank, can they take it with them? Or should I set up a separate tank for them? (I have an extra marine land 5 gallon) what a mess. I hate these things. 

I would move your snails as fenbendazole is toxic to them I would put then in a tank on their own for  all you need to do after each treatment is give it a good gravel vacc to remove the adult parasites that fall to the bottom and as many eggs as you can from the tank you probably have to do three courses of treatment 1 week apart have you got a close up picture of the ones you removed from the fish

Thank you!! I don’t have a photo of one that I removed. I was too grossed out. Someone on another forum (the co-op page off FB) thought they looked like leeches. They sure behaved like leeches. If I find another I’ll take a photo of it. I have no gravel in my tank thankfully. So I’ll vacuum up what’s on the bottom. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!!

On 10/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, Marcy said:

Thank you!! I don’t have a photo of one that I removed. I was too grossed out. Someone on another forum (the co-op page off FB) thought they looked like leeches. They sure behaved like leeches. If I find another I’ll take a photo of it. I have no gravel in my tank thankfully. So I’ll vacuum up what’s on the bottom. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!!

Fenbendazole also kills leeches you will have to do three courses of treatment