regarding zoo med canister filters

FiShrewd

If you want to go all out and like the look, go right ahead. I dont know why'd you use a canister filter for a 10g. But to each their own. I personally like fluvial heaters and co-op course sponge but then again I am not a huge fan of zoo med. Its really all personal preference.🙂

• Like 1

If you are using the zoo med canister filter for a turtle...save your money. The "bio" media is smooth and non porous like ehiem's stage one mechanical filtration; nor is there really any water flow through the bio area. 

Very hard and clunky to clean when it comes time as it doesn't have removable media baskets and no good way to prime the filiter.

Its basically a glorified sponge filter but harder to use at a high price...it will work for fish but there are better options at a better price. 

thanks 

I am into aqua scaping now

I usually am a guy who will use sponge

wait not even sponge 

matten filters for all my tank but I do need the look of a professional aqua scape

thanks

also should I rather go with a fluval flex with its internal filter

lots of people seem to like it

but I want to hear more opinions

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2021 at 1:42 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I use a ZooMed for my 3 gallon tank, home to a pea puffer. It provides extra water volume and does a nice job keeping after the poopy head. 🐡

The tank is too small to have a sponge filter, so I go outside the tank for filtration.

totm_tff.jpg.009e944adaddaaf9e5d86f59fbc71a2f.jpg

@eatyourpeas did you hot rod the filter in any way? I just got one for my pea puffer tank for the same reason and one thing I don’t like already is how the intake brings the water through the biological and chemical filtration first (I tossed the carbon filter and use Purigen or extra bio rings) instead of the mechanical filtration first…Did you attempt to switch that or do anything to perhaps make it a step above? Add filter floss for water polishing? Anything like that? 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:11 AM, eatyourpeas said:

@Beccs410 I did not use any of their media and replaced all with sponges (a mix of 10 ppi and 30 ppi). No floss since pea puffers are poopy heads and I did not want to have to deal with loss of flow. It is a heavily planted tank and the water is crystal clear.

Perfect. My tank is heavily planted as well. I pretty much tossed the media it came with immediately. We have nearly the same thoughts on that. I was planning on replacing it with mostly coarse sponge and some bio rings. Maybe Purigen. Haven’t decided on that just yet. I’ll be using the spray bar, faced toward the back of the tank, to reduce flow and a coarse pre-filter sponge on the intake. Thank you! I appreciate the input! 

Edited by Beccs410

On 10/12/2021 at 11:29 PM, Beccs410 said:

Perfect. My tank is heavily planted as well. I pretty much tossed the media it came with immediately. We have nearly the same thoughts on that. I was planning on replacing it with mostly course sponge and some bio rings. Maybe Purigen. Haven’t decided on that just yet. I’ll be using the spray bar, faced toward the back of the tank, to reduce flow and a course pre-filter sponge on the intake. Thank you! I appreciate the input! 

I have never used Purigen so I can’t be of help there. Your spray bar setup matches exactly what I have done with mine, but I did not use a prefilter sponge, as the little basket seems to do a good enough job blocking debris. Happy to be of help. 😊