Lighting question

DeanP

I have a 75 gal tank with the 3 lights noted below over it.  Would my light level probably be considered medium or high having these 3 lights sitting on it?

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CC LED Fixture (48”)

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 CRV Aquarium LED Light  (48”)

Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture - with 2 Day White LED Lamp and 1 Colormax LED lamp (48”)

Thanks,

Dean

Aquarium Light.jpg

I think one thing here that is being overlooked or may just be wrong and that is regardless of how many lights if the lights are a low light led than it's not going to make it to the bottom of a tall tank.The 3 lights don't just add up and push the par up at lower levels in the tank.Am I being understood?or crazy.Honestly I wish I were wrong so I could just keep 3 nicrews on a 65  i have rather than spend the $200 on a fluval 3.0

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, Patrick_G said:

Someone did a par test that showed par almost doubling in the overlapping area when using two lights. With three I think most of your tank is in those areas so I’d say high light, but at the low-mid end of the high light spectrum. 

Agreed and how I do it! High at low spectrum with 2 lights overlapping. 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, Stacy Z said:

I like doing the double overlapping light so no plants are missed having floating plants above them. I use the reds/blue 5 out of my 12 hrs to pop my red plants.

Me too, particularly since I keep myself to a budget and it can be less expensive to buy two budget lights than one high end one. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Patrick_G said:

@Dirtydave You’re right, based on the test I read,  two overlapping lights do indeed raise the par level by roughly  double at a given depth. So if it’s a measly five par at 20” with one  it’ll only be a measly ten par with two. 

I hate being right sometimes especially when it's gonna cost me $200 for a light that will give med to high light at the lower levels of a 66

@Dirtydave Thanks for the reply...  that is what I am trying to determine.  My tank is a 75gal tank that is about 18" deep.  I currently have these 3 lights and just started a Co2Art Co2 system on the tank this week.  So I am trying to determine if my lights are good or should I think about upgrading them.  I am not sure if the Fluval 3.0 and the Finnex Planted + lights I am running are much different from each other?  I have looked at 'The Blaster Series' LED lights that Dustin's Fishtanks sales but did not want to spend the money if my current lights were providing enough light.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:27 PM, Patrick_G said:

Ok I’ll  bite, what are the dimensions on a 66? 

65 gallon my bag.24 inches deep which is important dimention on this topic.3binches deeper that a 75 and a 125 and same depth as a 90

On 9/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, DeanP said:

@Dirtydave Thanks for the reply...  that is what I am trying to determine.  My tank is a 75gal tank that is about 18" deep.  I currently have these 3 lights and just started a Co2Art Co2 system on the tank this week.  So I am trying to determine if my lights are good or should I think about upgrading them.  I am not sure if the Fluval 3.0 and the Finnex Planted + lights I am running are much different from each other?  I have looked at 'The Blaster Series' LED lights that Dustin's Fishtanks sales but did not want to spend the money if my current lights were providing enough light.

By the way a 75 is 21 8nches deep and from what cory Mc elroy has said the fluval3.0 is much more powerful that the finnex24/8

• Thanks 1

545A870D-516C-459C-9975-7A715F14809A.jpeg.2802c8106b8a112ece55b9cce9d2b481.jpeg@DeanP I run two cheap Nicrews on my 75 gal. Plants grow great, but there are issues. The main one being getting enough light to the bases of fast growing stem plants, especially where the are shaded by some hardscape. You can’t see from the pic but stem plant along the back all have leggy bare lower stems and need regular trimming and replanting. 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:34 PM, Dirtydave said:

65 gallon my bag.24 inches deep which is important dimention on this topic.3binches deeper that a 75 and a 125 and same depth as a 90

Yeah, that’s a tough one to light. I think I’d use it to your advantage and do a Nature scape with lots of Epiphytes, moss and Crypts. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, Patrick_G said:

545A870D-516C-459C-9975-7A715F14809A.jpeg.2802c8106b8a112ece55b9cce9d2b481.jpeg@DeanP I run two cheap Nicrews on my 75 gal. Plants grow great, but there are issues. The main one being getting enough light to the bases of fast growing stem plants, especially where the are shaded by some hardscape. You can’t see from the pic but stem plant along the back all have leggy bare lower stems and need regular trimming and replanting. 

Yeah, that’s a tough one to light. I think I’d use it to your advantage and do a Nature scape with lots of Epiphytes, moss and Crypts. 

Yea basically same here,same issues.Im not gonna have a carpet of dwarf baby rears I call say that for sure or even glossigstigma (sp)

On 9/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, Dirtydave said:

By the way a 75 is 21 8nches deep and from what cory Mc elroy has said the fluval3.0 is much more powerful that the finnex24/8

@Dirtydave  you are correct, I was just measuring roughly from the water line to below the substrate... my bad.  I may consider replacing the Aqueon LED with the Fluval 3.0.  I know the Aqueon is not doing much... it was the first light I purchased and was a mistake.  2 Finnex Planted + lights and a Fluval 3.0 should provide plenty light I would think for a 75gal.

Actually I belive the fluval 3.0 would be enough If you have extra finnex's by all means put them on.There are many good vids on how to get the most out of the fluvsl 3.0.Check out Bentley Pascoe's youtube channel. He is a master aqua horticulturalist and has done a few good tutorials on that light and many other subjects also