As a Breeder...(rainbowshiner)

WhitecloudDynasty

As a breeder, I'm responsible for the next generation. I am very selective when it comes to my breeders, 2-3 generation overlooking traits can ruin a family of fish for 5-8 more generations. Wanted and unwanted traits is 100% up to the breeder and his goals.

As a breeder, one should have set goals and standards then try to reach it every year.

Goals:

- What do you want from the fish in the future? Handle colder/warmer temp, breed easier in local water, school tighter, less aggression, etc...

Standards:

- What do you want to see in the future?  Standards comes down to conformation and color. Size, color, color placement, fin shape, fin length, angle of body parts, etc...

ULTIMATE GOAL SHOULD ALWAYS BE HEALTH OVER ALL.

My mentor(pigeonracing) always said, "When picking out breeders, imagine you are color blind so color wouldn't be your first choice. You always pick health and conformation then choose color afterwards". Don't let a pretty fish cloud your judgment. It may take a few generation longer but when you get there you'll have a beautiful healthy fish that you can be proud off. 

I believe inbreeding and linebreeding is fine if you are responsible. Crossing out everytime you find "good" family would greatly help.

- Latent genetics and breeder raising of fry that wouldn't survive in the wild, we didn't "create" them necessarily, just gave them a better shot than nature.

These photos show the difference in fish if you take your time to observe them carefully. All 3 fish are about the same age, all males. First 2 are from my current family and last photo is a male from a group I picked up to add to my family if they made the cut..they didn't.

Screenshot_20210917-224911_Gallery.jpg.b89c05bfdf476a57450ef9b662f68ff5.jpg

First male have a great long face, great blue flaking all over his body. Weak tail.

Screenshot_20210917-224847_Gallery.jpg.e6d334cd9ffa6eabf70e95af7953f2ae.jpg

Second male have a medium face, ok blue flaking, and great dorsal and tail. 

Screenshot_20210917-224929_Gallery.jpg.288a715c5ffb589644733b6f6e736dba.jpg

Third male from a different breeder. Don't know what their goal was, but I'll explain why the group didn't make the cut. Most have a smaller head leading to a hump body. Tail is weak. Notice I didn't mention about color...every family is different, some may color up earlier than others or this could be the red line where they have less blue flaking and have a richer red color when fired up. Only time will tell.

At the end of the day I want good results for my fishroom.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/18/2021 at 12:51 AM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

As a breeder, I'm responsible for the next generation. I am very selective when it comes to my breeders, 2-3 generation overlooking traits can ruin a family of fish for 5-8 more generations. Wanted and unwanted traits is 100% up to the breeder and his goals.

As a breeder, one should have set goals and standards then try to reach it every year.

Goals:

- What do you want from the fish in the future? Handle colder/warmer temp, breed easier in local water, school tighter, less aggression, etc...

Standards:

- What do you want to see in the future?  Standards comes down to conformation and color. Size, color, color placement, fin shape, fin length, angle of body parts, etc...

ULTIMATE GOAL SHOULD ALWAYS BE HEALTH OVER ALL.

My mentor(pigeonracing) always said, "When picking out breeders, imagine you are color blind so color wouldn't be your first choice. You always pick health and conformation then choose color afterwards". Don't let a pretty fish cloud your judgment. It may take a few generation longer but when you get there you'll have a beautiful healthy fish that you can be proud off. 

I believe inbreeding and linebreeding is fine if you are responsible. Crossing out everytime you find "good" family would greatly help.

- Latent genetics and breeder raising of fry that wouldn't survive in the wild, we didn't "create" them necessarily, just gave them a better shot than nature.

These photos show the difference in fish if you take your time to observe them carefully. All 3 fish are about the same age, all males. First 2 are from my current family and last photo is a male from a group I picked up to add to my family if they made the cut..they didn't.

Screenshot_20210917-224911_Gallery.jpg.b89c05bfdf476a57450ef9b662f68ff5.jpg

First male have a great long face, great blue flaking all over his body. Weak tail.

Screenshot_20210917-224847_Gallery.jpg.e6d334cd9ffa6eabf70e95af7953f2ae.jpg

Second male have a medium face, ok blue flaking, and great dorsal and tail. 

Screenshot_20210917-224929_Gallery.jpg.288a715c5ffb589644733b6f6e736dba.jpg

Third male from a different breeder. Don't know what their goal was, but I'll explain why the group didn't make the cut. Most have a smaller head leading to a hump body. Tail is weak. Notice I didn't mention about color...every family is different, some may color up earlier than others or this could be the red line where they have less blue flaking and have a richer red color when fired up. Only time will tell.

At the end of the day I want good results for my fishroom.

Lots of good advice here. Thank you! I enjoy “breeding fish.” But I think you’re really helpful pointing out character qualities of a good “fish breeder.” 

• Like 2