Co Op Test Strips and Saltwater

Alec

• Administrators
On 9/16/2021 at 1:12 AM, Alec said:

Does anyone know if the test strips are accurate when used in saltwater? 

I have not tested them in saltwater (I took my salt water tank down before these strips came in). However, I do use them in my brackish tanks (even the higher salinity one), and they work fine. My understanding is that these should work in any water, as what it tests for (including NO2 and NO3) should be the same. 

In saltwater you will get higher readings for GH and KH, and these strips only go to 8.4 pH, so if your pH is above 8.4, it won't give you a higher reading. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:57 PM, Zenzo said:

I have not tested them in saltwater (I took my salt water tank down before these strips came in). However, I do use them in my brackish tanks (even the higher salinity one), and they work fine. My understanding is that these should work in any water, as what it tests for (including NO2 and NO3) should be the same. 

In saltwater you will get higher readings for GH and KH, and these strips only go to 8.4 pH, so if your pH is above 8.4, it won't give you a higher reading. 

Okay. Thank you! I'll give it a shot. All I really am worried about is the nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. I'm wanting to get better about doing maintenance on my saltwater tank (as well as my freshwater). 

• Like 1