Guppy with damaged base to pectoral fin

Keeg

In my nano desk tank I kept 2 endlers, one male dumbo guppy, and 3 female endlers. The point of this was to get off spring that look like the males, went great for awhile until one day I woke up and my dumbo has been torn to shreds. His tail was missing chunks, his dorsal fin had a hole, and it looks like the top half of the base on his right side was torn as well. He is now in the tank with a scarlet badis (have had it for a very long time, for sure not the culprit ), shrimps, and snails. He is healing very well, only a small bit turned black from rot but I cleared that up in a day. But his pectoral fin doesn't seem to be improving. Though it has only been 2 days. 

He is plenty active, still uses the fin but not as much as left side. Still eating good, practically healthy except his fin. He's super hardy and will put up a good fight against anything so... really any treatment would be good. 

Does anybody know if it will reconnect with the fin? or regrow? or heal back to what it once was? 

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

Edited by Keeg

• Administrators

I'm certainly not an expert in fish fin regeneration, but my experience is that the fins tend to grow back under the right conditions if the base is still healthy. Because yours has damage at the base, if regrowth seems to be an issue, it may be due to damage at the base that is not allowing it to regenerate (loss of blood flow, etc.).

I hope he makes a recovery. Beautiful little guy!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, Zenzo said:

Because yours has damage at the base, if regrowth seems to be an issue, it may be due to damage at the base that is not allowing it to regenerate (loss of blood flow, etc.).

I hope he makes a recovery. Beautiful little guy!

Do you know if damage to the base will permanently halt recovery/ healing to the fin. 

Thanks, he was an impulse buy from a chain store lol. Never saw a dumbo with a solid tail, which are a personal preference. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, Keeg said:

Do you know if damage to the base will permanently halt recovery/ healing to the fin. 

Thanks, he was an impulse buy from a chain store lol. Never saw a dumbo with a solid tail, which are a personal preference. 

I am not sure. I would say to do the best you can with keeping the water parameters where they need to be, give him a good diet, and low stress (no crazy fish chasing him, etc.). That is probably your best chance.