Need advise in moving a Betta that did not take well to adding a new fish

llmgtab

I have a 20 gallon long tank that housed 1 betta veil tail, 6 albino tetras, 5 pygmy corries and a mystery snail. They have all been together for at least 6 weeks and the betta has been very well behaved. Lots of plants and plenty of hide spaces for all

I wanted to add a few more tetra's so they would have a better group, but could not find any more albinos. Yesterday I bought 3 neon tetras - this seems to have turned my betta into a monster. I do know now I did a few things wrong. First, I could have moved the betta out for a bit to let the other settle. Second - I think its the color that is driving him made (he is a blue betta). But its too late now. One neon got swallowed whole immediately. Not sure how the betta even fit that guy in! A second one seems to have disappeared over night.

So only one extra fish, but the betta is still constantly flaring and turned the tank into a battle ground. The tetras are very stressed - he is even chasing the cory!

I still had the 3 gallon that was his home before with just a few CPD so I just moved the CPD out and the betta back in. 

I guess I have two choices, can let this guy chill a bit and try adding him back in, or just get a new 5 gallon tank for him. Can't keep him in a 3 gallon anymore! The main question I had on that for you experts - if I get something like the fluval spec 5 and populate it with the substrate/plants decorations from the 3 gallon (and maybe some from the 20) could I move him into that quickly without doing a cycle? 

Sorry for the long post, can't believe I made a mistake like this! Never imagined 3 little fish would disrupt the tank so much.

You could take the substrate and decor from the cycled tank and see if the tank could handle the bio load, but to be extra safe I would add some of the filter media to the new tank. if you want to try adding the betta back into the 20, you can try rearranging the tank a bit making a lot of eye sight breaks to further persuade the betta that he is in a new territory. Im surprised the betta could catch the neons in the first place.  

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:41 PM, Keeg said:

You could take the substrate and decor from the cycled tank and see if the tank could handle the bio load, but to be extra safe I would add some of the filter media to the new tank. if you want to try adding the betta back into the 20, you can try rearranging the tank a bit making a lot of eye sight breaks to further persuade the betta that he is in a new territory. Im surprised the betta could catch the neons in the first place.  

Thank Keeg. I know on catching them! I put them in and stepped away literally for 5 minutes and came back and saw the tail fins of one of them sticking out of his mouth! With those long fins its not like he is that agile. Not sure on the second - does not seem possible he could have ate another after that large meal! He could have just found a good hiding spot.

And yes I was just thinking that if I was to get that 5 gallon (my LFS has one in stock I believe) I would put the nano sponge filter I am using in the 3 gallon in there for sure. Basically just dismantle the 3 gallon into the 5.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, llmgtab said:

The main question I had on that for you experts - if I get something like the fluval spec 5 and populate it with the substrate/plants decorations from the 3 gallon (and maybe some from the 20) could I move him into that quickly without doing a cycle? 

I’m not an expert but I have done this many times. I use all filter media (sometimes just letting it float in the tank) all decor and hard scape even if I don’t plan to keep it there and all substrate  I put the substrate in a mesh bag if it’s not what I want in the new tank. I test daily usually only see a hint of nitrite like less than .25.  It works well for me. 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m not an expert but I have done this many times. I use all filter media (sometimes just letting it float in the tank) all decor and hard scape even if I don’t plan to keep it there and all substrate  I put the substrate in a mesh bag if it’s not what I want in the new tank. I test daily usually only see a hint of nitrite like less than .25.  It works well for me. 

I did something similar, instead of letting it float in the tank, I took an old HOB and jammed like 3 used cartridges in there and let it sit for a day. Worked like a charm. Also that's such a smart idea to put the substrate in a mesh bag, I would've just tossed it. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for all your advise. I have decided for now to leave Adolin (the Betta :P) in his 3 gallon and start up a new 5 to transfer him to soon. He is already making bubble nests, maybe he is happier on his own. And at least I just found out I will be able to still work from home 2 days a week (just started back in the office) so I can interact with him more. 

The rest of the group is still settling, so think I will keep it betta free and after some time try increasing the neon group again.