Desert Goby Death

OnlyGenusCaps

Well, I'm not great with fish disease, but I suspect it in the past, rough, few days.  I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with too much.  I rcently got a batch of desert gobies (Chlamydogobius eremius).  I love gobies and these are a Golden Fleece species for me (i.e. worth questing for).  Unfortunately, for the past three days they've been dying.  I started with 9 and I am now down to 2 with little hope for these last survivors.

I lost the first one in a few minutes of putting them in Qt.  That could have been lots of things from travel stress to my very hard water being a bit of a shock.  Then I lost 2 more by that evening.  And another two by morning.  The next evening 1 more and today another.  After the first two days, I hit them with med trio.  They most recent have died in the same way.  With their mouths open, looking bloated.  They have not eaten since arrival.  Wouldn't take BBS, nor small pods, nor live blackworm pieces.  Not flake either.  This from a species reputed not to be very fussy.  I don't think they have been feeling well. 

At this point I am not hoping to save the last of them.  I don't think that's in the card.  I'm just hoping to understand what happened.  Any input would be appreciated.

Let's do the water parameter run down in the Qt.  Here are the stats:

pH - 7.6

Nitrates 0

Hardness 300

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

KH/Buffer 120

Water Temperature 25°C

• Sad 1

Thanks for the reply @Colu!  I didn't think it was the water either.  I posted the parameters because it was suggested in this section.  I try to be mindful of the fact that antibiotic resistance is a very serious contemporary concern, and thus don't run to medicate all Qt.  Perhaps I should have in this case, though the rapid deaths, and continued losses after medicating, suggest it may have been too late by the time they arrived.  I just don't know, and wish I could have don better for them. 

It's a difficult one sometimes no Matter what you do your going to lose fish they might have been two far gone by the time you got them it's difficult to no for sure @OnlyGenusCapsyour remaining fish I would recommend treating with Fritz expel p and kanaplex in food to cover all bases

Edited by Colu

Thanks @Colu!  I hate failing my critters. 

The good news is that the last two have made it to the morning.  After a day and half of being medicated, they even look like they are trying to find the remaining pods in the tank.  At least it's the first hunting-like behavior they have exhibited so far. 

See now my hopes are up again.  Plus, I am second guessing my decision not to medicate immediately.  Oh hindsight, how you haunt me! 

I'll grab the additional meds you suggest.  Thanks again, Colu! 

• Like 1

Well, by way of an update, for anyone interested, it looks like whatever has been killing these new gobies has jumped tanks and in now killing my Rhinogobius group.  I thought I'd been so careful with Qt stuff being peroxided when it comes out, dried in a separate area, and never going into any tank but the Qt.  Obviously, I was not careful enough.  Whatever this is is seems quite mobile and a serious threat to gobies.  This time I've medicated immediately.  Hoping for the best.

I've also resolved to setup a new Qt zone, 2m from any other tank, new peg board for the dedicated equipment, and a disinfecting basin.  I'd like to avoid this again if possible, as this has not been fun.  Probably less fun for the poor fish.  😵 

• Sad 2

Depending on the space and budget having separate equipment is ideal. If you're dealing with numerous amounts of tanks it becomes a necessity. Some tanks I share nets with, and some I don't, currently I'm in the debate with myself about buying a whole separate python system just for draining and filling QT tanks as well as tanks that contained parasites that I've since gotten rid of and just don't want to risk with other stock. 

One of the 'go to's' that I used to do at my old store was keep the communal nets stored in a 5 gallon bucket that was filled with RO and cleaning vinegar to the point the handles were submersed. This would generally take care of a majority of things that could cross contaminate if we missed something. When it came to using nets with something known that we didn't want to risk, we'd be sure to put the net in a bleach dip post use for 24 hours in the backroom and then rinse thoroughly with RO and left to soak in a bucket of RO that had been overdosed with prime to take care of any residual chlorine from the bleach. Same would be the case for hoses and buckets. Have a set of QT/drain only buckets and keep them away from buckets that are used for filling. Soak your hoses post use in bleach and rinse/soak then store to dry. Issue with this process means that you're going to have to have space to do it and invest in decent multiples of each.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Well, by way of an update, for anyone interested, it looks like whatever has been killing these new gobies has jumped tanks and in now killing my Rhinogobius group

Are they showing the same symptoms as your desert gobys to if so I wouldn't expect parasite to start killing your fish with in a couple of days of exposure to them your more than likely dealing with a internal bacterial infection

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Overbooked weekend.  No time to get online.  Thanks for the replies!

On 9/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, Tihshho said:

a 5 gallon bucket that was filled with RO and cleaning vinegar

That's brilliant!  Vinegar is the biggest cleaning product in my house, so I've got lots on hand.  I think I'll set up a distant shelf for a isolated Qt zone. 

On 9/11/2021 at 5:39 PM, Colu said:

Are they showing the same symptoms as your desert gobys to f so I wouldn't expect parasite to start killing your fish with in a couple of days of exposure to them your more than likely dealing with a internal bacterial infection

Yes, they were showing the same symptoms.  I also thought the only thing that could act that fast would be bacteria.  I only did Maracyn to start, and it seems to be working, i.e. no further losses and they are eating again.  Actually the surviving desert gobies are eating now too.  They are voracious!  So, I think it's going to work out.

I'm still a little uncomfortable with the idea of medicating when it might not be necessary, but I've now needed to medicate 2 of my last 3 online orders, so...  I might have to take a more pragmatic than ethical approach in future, which means dropping meds when stuff comes in.  Club fish have been different, and I haven't needed to medicate them thankfully.

Thanks so much for the help and concern all!  I still get too attached to my fish and probably take losses too hard.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 7:44 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I am a sudden believer in the importance if having all the necessary meds on hand.

Be careful of having too many meds on hand, especially when they are opened and never finished and you're using them a year later. Other meds, even sealed, have a shelf life too. Be sure to not it and write it on the packaging somewhere so you have a quick reference to the expiration date without having to read tiny text every time before using them. I was of the same mindset and I can't tell you how many meds I threw away when I realized some had a shelf life/expiration date. Rather than keeping new meds and getting them when I need them, I generally rotate picking up meds when I get new fish. I generally have an antifungal on hand when I get something new, if I'm getting imports I make sure to have dewormer show up before they arrive. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, Tihshho said:

Be careful of having too many meds on hand, especially when they are opened and never finished and you're using them a year later.

No worries.  I was speaking in hyperbole.  I'm not planning on going overboard here.  I won't become the fish pharmacopeia or anything.  I just, now, appreciate having the necessary meds on hand when I get new fish. 

• Like 1