Central American sharpnose puffer tank mates

Ram man

So this is my first time posting on the forum so I'm going to introduce myself first, I have 19 tanks setup in my bedroom, and I have 2 saltwater and working on my third and I'm trying to pick out tank mates for it. The main fish is going to be a central american sharpnose puffer. The tank is a 29 gallon and I want to do coral so I need reef safe fish. Thanks for any advice!

On 9/10/2021 at 5:11 PM, Ram man said:

That's what I was planning on doing, like getting a couple of normal ocelaris, and some diamond or watchman gobies

Normal ocerlaris are great and all, but have your heard of maroon lightnings? Definitely a dream saltwater fish of mine, and with a great looking puffer, why not go all out?

A sharpnose in a reef is going to be problematic. You're going to run into issues with the sharpnose attacking your clean upcrew overtime. That and they do pick at coral. Ontop of that a 29 is a bit small for them as well as other fish.

Edited by Tihshho
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 7:44 PM, Tihshho said:

A sharpnose in a reef is going to be problematic. You're going to run into issues with the sharpnose attacking your clean upcrew overtime. That and they do pick at coral. Ontop of that a 29 is a bit small for them as well as other fish.

I understand, so do you have any other suggestions? I've never had a saltwater tank this big before and don't know how to start stocking it

On 9/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, Ram man said:

I understand, so do you have any other suggestions? I've never had a saltwater tank this big before and don't know how to start stocking it

This is still in the realm of nano tanks for sw. Your best options are a pair of clowns, or some small gobies and tons of inverts.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, Tihshho said:

This is still in the realm of nano tanks for sw. Your best options are a pair of clowns, or some small gobies and tons of inverts.

That's what I was thinking but still wanted to make sure. Thanks for the advice. 

On 9/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, Patrick_G said:

How about a Green Spotted Puffer? They can do brackish or full salt and 29 is considered just right for them. 
FB8E98CB-3686-4B88-887C-75ACB13861F2.jpeg.bfbdf40b7c5949f772f75c34348d1649.jpeg

Are they reef safe? I only ask because I really want a Reed tank and I understand that if a puffer isn't reef safe then I'm not going to try and force it to work.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:43 PM, Ram man said:

Are they reef safe? I only ask because I really want a Reed tank and I understand that if a puffer isn't reef safe then I'm not going to try and force it to work.

I believe they are not reef safe. 

Edited by Patrick_G

Simple rule of thumb, if it's a puffer it's generally not reef safe. Also, a 29 is wayyyyy too big in the long run for a GSP. GSP's get big, they are rambunctious and are messy. You can always find puffers who are exception of the rule, but that's a personality thing. When you get a puffer, unless you're at the store daily or know where it's coming from, know the person it came from had success with it you're really rolling the dice.