Setting up a Betta tank

Antic

Hey everyone! I am pretty new to this and decided to try to set up a Betta tank and I decided to go with API Quick Start, API Stress Coat+ as well as getting the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I have the filter on and I am a little confused on getting the cycle started. I will be getting Lava Rock for the filter within two days (I do not have the fish yet) and I know that it will hep me in the process and in the future. I put the recommended amount from each bottle into the tank (5 US Gallons) and after a couple of days and the Ph is around 7.0-7.2, Ammonia is around .25ppm because it is a tad lime green but at some angles it looks like the regular Yellow 0ppm, 0ppm Nitrite and 10-20ppm of Nitrate. 

I do not know if the cycle has started or not... but I am pretty sure it has not started because I measured my regular tap water and it gave around the same readings of the Nitrate. Any tips?

Congrats and welcome to the hobby!!  Bettas are amazing and beautiful fish. This sounds like a good start! You knew what you were doing getting the testing kit first, and not the fish. It sounds like your cycle has not yet started.  The quick start provides beneficial bacteria, and I believe the stress coat is a water conditioner. You’ll need a source of ammonia to feed your bacteria colony. You could buy bottled ammonia or put in some fish food. 
you’ll know your tank is cycled when you see ammonia, then ammonia goes to zero and you’ll see nitrite, and then you’ll want to see nitrite and ammonia at zero and a higher nitrates reading.  This could take up to 4 weeks. (I’m not doing as good of a job explaining this as the youtubers do - Corey’s old video with the mnms is perfect)

one thing you’ll need to keep an eye on is that you’ll be removing but also adding back in nitrates with every water change because your water source already has nitrates, so you’ll want to monitor the those levels routinely to make sure they don’t get too high. you could add extra plants or even put a pothos plant (make sure to really wash the soil off the roots) and put it in a hang on back filter.  The plants will take up the nitrates from your water. 

When you eventually get your fish, you may want to hold off on feeding for a couple days, to let the beneficial bacteria in your tank adjust and not overload it with waste. Then gradually feed small amounts to slowly build up the capacity of your beneficial bacteria to process. 

• Love 1

Thank you for the information!! I am planning on getting some lava rock to put in the hang on the back filter. Would it be possible to plant plants in the rock to reduce nitrate? I also put in FLUVAL Bug Bites in the water. Should that get the Ammonia up?

Also, do you recommend any more chemicals or such I should get for the tank? 

I admit I'm not as familiar with using lava rocks in the filter.  Is it a hang on back and the lava rocks will be bio media?  In any case, I think it should work.  I like to propogate plant clippings in my hang on back filters, so I keep the lid off of the filter and I just stick the plant stems in wherever they will fit, so I do think you can do both the plant and the biological material in the hang on back.  As an alternative, another user posted a cheap and good looking how-to create riparian planters for your tank using mostly household items here: 

I don't think you'll need any other chemicals.  You got your water conditioner, and your beneficial bacteria boost.  A lot of people say that quick start (or fritzyme 7, which I use) is not necessary or snake oil, but I do find it helpful and use it.  Though even while using it, I strongly recommend waiting for the tank to finish cycling or use established filter media/substrate/plants, anything else that will add beneficial bacteria to your tank. 

And yes I think bug bites will work fine as an ammonia source, people sprinkle it in as if you're feeding imaginary fish, as it breaks down it will produce ammonia to start the cycle.  It takes time and won't happen automatically.  You seem much more patient than me haha, I have also used Dr. Tim's liquid ammonia.  

Irene aka Girl Talks Fish did an great series experimenting with different methods of cycling: 

Another item you may want for your betta is Indian Almond (also called Cattapa) leaves.  Adds tannins to the water and has anti-microbial properties that are beneficial to bettas. oh and a heater if you don't have one already.   

So excited for you and can't wait to see pictures of your future betta friend! 

• Like 2

Is your tank planted? If it is then you may not see a rise in the ammonia level with the feeding method as the plants can make use of it. I personally always use the Dr Tim's ammonia to help get my cycle started and aim to get to 2ppm, then test after 24 then 48 hours to see any change and then dose back to the 2ppm level. I will then repeat the process until my nitrites spike and I start to see nitrates rise. Then I will add just enough ammonia to keep the bb going for 24 hours until my nitrites drop to around 0.25ppm. This usually takes about 2 weeks then stop adding ammonia do a water change to reduce the nitrates to about 10-20pmm and you should be good to go. This is just my personal preference as I'm really impatient when I cycle new tanks 😂. Having said all that if your tank is planted and you are only going to be adding a betta and nothing else you don't necessarily need to cycle the tank if you are adding bb as long as you don't over feed and do a 5-10% water change every day for the first week or two (again this is in my experience)