Tetra eggs/fry light sensitivity

tolstoy21

I see a lot of stuff on the inter-webs about this topic in regards to neon tetras specifically, but am trying to determine if this is a general trait of all tetra species, or just is it just specific to neons.

Does anyone have experience breeding tetra species that can shed some light on this topic or share a link to some good, trustworthy information?

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, Atitagain said:

I don’t have a link but try Marks Aquatics on YouTube I've been really liking his content on breeding tetras.

Yeah, I've watched a lot of his content too. Good channel.

I've started trying to breed the Inpaichthys Kerri "super-blue" tetra.

I think I have some fry this go around and will post back here if I do.

I started with the total blackout for the first three days and now I'm slowly introducing light day-by-day. I was just curious if i even need to do this, and if so, what are people experiences with how to acclimate fry to light, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the response! 

• 11 months later...

How did you go with the light sensitivity? I have just done Black Skirt tetras and Neons yesterday for the first time. I have eggs and they are in tanks with the parents out and a towel around the tank. I am not sure on how sensitive these guys are to light so keeping them in darkness at the moment. 

@RyanM I'm specifically breeding Kerri Tetras, and you know, I really just don't know yet what their light sensitivity is.

I've bred quite a few batches of these fish thus far. However, the parents deposit the eggs into a very heavy layer of live sphagnum moss. I don't turn off or even dim the lights. But I'm not sure what the light penetration is into the moss layer.

I'm going to say that they are not light-sensitive, but I just don't know for sure.

Edited by tolstoy21

On 8/7/2022 at 6:21 PM, tolstoy21 said:

@RyanM I'm specifically breeding Kerri Tetras, and you know, I really just don't know yet what their light sensitivity is.

I've bred quite a few batches of these fish thus far. However, the parents deposit the eggs into a very heavy layer of live sphagnum moss. I don't turn off or even dim the lights. But I'm not sure what the light penetration is into the moss layer.

I'm going to say that they are not light-sensitive, but I just don't know for sure.

No worries. I'm resisting the urge to shine lights on mine and keeping it covered. Cheers for the reply.

@RyanM  I'm going to guess, and I emphasize 'guess', that light sensitivity is highly dependent on the specific tetra species. But I honestly only breed one type, so it's all i have experience with tetras thus far.

If you're into tinkering, do a batch without light, one with subdued lighting, and then one with normal light and observe the results. This way you'll know and can cut out an extraneous step in the future.

I personally like to run experiments so I have a good handle on things. Probably an artifact of my IT engineering/development background. I hate not understanding what affects outcomes with certainty and then operationalizing superfluous steps.  But that's just me. Not sure if that's a personality feature or bug!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

It is hard to find peer reviewed articles on Google scholar on it as well. Just had a mostly unfertilized batch this time.(1st spawn so was expecting that) Will try again with your suggestion of experimenting with light starting with no light in two weeks time on high protein diet. Or the elif light==0 Cheers 🙂