Betta and an amano shrimp in 10 gal

I'm thinking about adding a single amano to this tank. Not much in the way of algae yet so I do plan on supplementing it's diet. The Betta is still young and so I don't know how it will react to the amano but I do have other tanks that I can put him in if they get too feisty with each other. It's a 10 gal tank with plenty of hiding spots for MR. Amano. Thoughts and experiences?

IMG_20210826_184233.jpg

• Love 2

You should just see your bettas personality. Is your betta a very active betta that flares fairly often? If so, it might be curious or fairly aggressive. If he seems like a "chill" betta, I would try to introduce an amano shrimp. Amano shrimp are usually good tank mates anyways because hey usually get fairly big and there seems to be a lot of hiding spots for the amano shrimp if it were to ever get harassed. 

Amanos prefer to be in groups rather than solitary.  My experience has been that, like most other freshwater shrimp, they seem to do best in groups of 5-6 or larger,  but three (as long as one of them isn't a merciless bully), will work.  Amanos are actually probably the best choice to pair with Bettas as they tend to stand their ground rather than "flit away" (which Betta's seem to trigger a lot of Bettas "prey" instincts) when another tank mate "gets in their face".  Amanos can grow pretty large- larger is probably better with a Betta especially if it's their first cohabitation with shrimp.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 1

You could always try getting a ghost shrimp for like 27 cents from PetCo and see how your betta does. If it goes well, then you can have a ghost and an amano to be tank buddies with your betta. If it goes badly, then you know your betta is not chill and it only cost you 27 cents...

BEAUTIFUL tank by the way

As with any betta advice I'll give the disclaimer that it depends on the temperament of your fish. That said, I have had my betta in a tank with amanos for over a year and he has done very well. My betta is pretty chill, doesn't flare a lot and tends to keep to himself. I think it also helps that these shrimp are pretty large now, and there are plenty of hiding places in plants. Give it a shot and see what happens, but have a plan if it doesn't work out! Let us know how it goes!

• Like 1