40 breeder separators

Desktop Aquatics

Has anyone used separators on a 40 gallon breeder to make 3 tanks out of it for breeding purposes? I was considering buying 3 40’s and separating them into 9 smaller tanks for a 3 tiered rack. This would seem easier than a couple 20’s or a ton a 10’s.

examples of how this looks would be amazing!

Edited by Kylec

Depending on what you're keeping I'd have to agree with @s1_ with running multiple 20H's instead. If you're splitting a 40B two ways to separate a male and female of a larger cichlid species, yeah a 40B separated makes more sense. But when it comes to smaller species the multi tank method makes more sense. Plus, if I remember correctly, the dollar per gallon sales don't apply to 40B's anymore... So you might end up getting three 20's for a better price.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:07 PM, Tihshho said:

Depending on what you're keeping I'd have to agree with @s1_ with running multiple 20H's instead. If you're splitting a 40B two ways to separate a male and female of a larger cichlid species, yeah a 40B separated makes more sense. But when it comes to smaller species the multi tank method makes more sense. Plus, if I remember correctly, the dollar per gallon sales don't apply to 40B's anymore... So you might end up getting three 20's for a better price.

yah so my plan was to have a 40b divided into thirds and having a breeding pair of apistos in each third