algae

guys ,what do you think , is it good to put more plants in tank to control algae ? as i have heard plants and algae need light...light per gallon will be divided among plants rather algae...also nitrates will be least available to algae...

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, indranil said:

guys ,what do you think , is it good to put more plants in tank to control algae ? as i have heard plants and algae need light...light per gallon will be divided among plants rather algae...also nitrates will be least available to algae...

I find it’s best to do this by first trying to clean out as much algae by hand. Then stock with plants. But use some nitrate-sucking water column floaters like water lettuce, frog-bit, hornwort, etc. Stem plants and rhizome plants will start off in your tank by “taking a vacation” for a week or more. If grown outside of water, they’ll die back too. A lot depends on what type of algae you’re battling too. This guide is very helpful.

• Love 1

On 8/30/2021 at 1:08 PM, indranil said:

I think you’re right. In my experience algae is much easier to control with a high plant mass and lower light. My formula for algae control is a high mass of plants a cleaning crew of Otocinclus and Amano Shrimp, and occasionally dosing Seachem Excel. @Fish Folk’s advice above is very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 3:02 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think you’re right. In my experience algae is much easier to control with a high plant mass and lower light. My formula for algae control is a high mass of plants a cleaning crew of Otocinclus and Amano Shrimp, and occasionally dosing Seachem Excel. @Fish Folk’s advice above is very helpful. 

certainly....algae eaters are must....