What Corydora disease is this?!

Ashe388

So i got a new sterbai corydora who was in semi-okĀ condition from previous owner and now he developed these bumps,anyone have any idea what is causing this or what it is?

• 7.2 ph
  • Nitrates 10
  • HardnessĀ 
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 6
  • Water Temperature 78

He eats but not as much as he should be šŸ˜”20210819_154112.jpg.f2481becfc6e8c1f2b2c136b4005a96a.jpg

Edited by Ashe388

I believe what your Cory has is Patch disease with Ich.Ā 

I helped someone else yesterday with their Cories and I had to consult a book titled, "Hobbyist Guide to Catfish and Loaches." This book should be available at your local LFS for about $15 and it contains a lot of useful information.

According to this book, your water temp, at 78 degrees, is too cold. way too cold. This book says that Cories prefer water temps of 86 degrees to mimic the water temps of their natural environment, I keep my tanks at 85 degrees and I save a bundle on fish meds. I have fish meds just in case, but I haven't used any in a very long time, I don't know if these meds have a shelf life, but it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Don't let anyone tell you to use salt, Cories are very intolerant of salt.

Raise your temps to about 85 degrees and the Black patch disease and the Ich should clear up on it's own.Ā Ā 

• Haha 1

@Gator

Awesome tysm! i have a wide variety of meds on hand just incase ,im just missing Maracyn two and oh no i would never do salt with my corydoras ā¤Ā 

All i need is to invest in a new manual temp set heater as my previous one broke so i just have a regular preset one, I'll stop by my lfs tomorrow and pick one up thanks for the help.

I'll update the post as he improves!

Edited by Ashe388

I don't see any ich on your fish just gains of sandĀ  Ideal temperature to keep sterbai corydoras at is 74 to 82 degrees if you don't see any improvement after treating with maracyn and ick x I would recommend treating with malachite green in the water and kanaplex in food he's a food recipe

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 5

On 8/24/2021 at 3:09 AM, Gator said:

According to this book, your water temp, at 78 degrees, is too cold. way too cold. This book says that Cories prefer water temps of 86 degrees to mimic the water temps of their natural

Ā 

Screenshot_20210824-040509~2.png

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 4:05 AM, Ashe388 said:

@Colu

Thank you for the recipe i also have kanaplex on hand but not malachite green unfortunately soĀ I'll grab some soon incase i have to resort to that!

Kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic that treatsĀ  gram negative bacterial infectionĀ 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, Colu said:

Kanaplex is a more broad spectrum antibiotic that treatsĀ  gram negative bacterial infectionĀ 

So the same as maracyn two essentially but i believe kanaplex is stronger if i remember correctly?!

On 8/23/2021 at 7:56 PM, Colu said:

I don't see any ich on your fish just gains of sandĀ  Ideal temperature to keep sterbai corydoras at is 74 to 82 degrees if you don't see any improvement after treating with maracyn and ick x I would recommend treating with malachite green in the water and kanaplex in food he's a food recipe

Screenshot_20210806-030958~2.png

Ā 

On 8/23/2021 at 7:36 PM, lefty o said:

i dont see any ich on that fish. that is some sort of other fungal issue.

I got better pictures while he undergoes current treatment if this helps identify the issue.

20210831_171621.jpg.47b18e44b0e0d0f185c0115d8cfc628b.jpg20210831_171612.jpg.fc787b7e4c33df6cb4e7066713314d3b.jpg

On 8/31/2021 at 7:08 PM, Colu said:

It could be a viral infection or granulomas under the skin causeing the lumps not a 100% sure that what is going on hereĀ 

I was thinking maybe excess mucus production due to an infection or maybe with his health in a bad spot he self poisoned himself

I've never ever experienced anything like this, I'll continue keeping him in a clean environment and finish this treatment to see if it helps