Where to find 10mm to 13mm barb adapters?

Doug_E

I am setting up a nano shrimp tank and have a mix of 10mm and 13mm filter components. I was all set to get some brass 1/2" to 3/8" PEX adapters when the copper issue crossed my mind. The brass fittings might be fine, but for how long? I'd also be concerned unless it has been categorically proven that quality brass fittings like those used for plumbing will be find for shrimp and other copper sensitive species. 

I then started looking for good plastic (aquarium safe) barb fittings that go from 1/2" to 3/8". Nope, I can't find anything good. Just cheap junk on Amazon. 

Is it a fools errand to try this? Either because the parts don't exist or its is a bad idea to use 13mm inflow/outflow with a 10mm filter fitting.

I'm using a ZooMed Nano 10 with 13mm LIly Pipe and a 13mm inline CO2 diffuser.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:27 PM, lefty o said:

i would definately stay away from copper fittings in the aquarium/filter.

They are "lead free dezincification resistant (DZR) brass" so not copper but can theoretically leach copper and lead into the water. Probably fine, but I'd sleep better with plastic fittings. 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:39 PM, lefty o said:

nylon would be a good choice.

I'm reading how aluminum is bad for aquariums. My local O'Reilly auto has the nylon in stock too. I never would have thought this would be so hard to find!