Treating Dropsy

Jane

Treating my betta with dropsy. He has an extended belly on the right side since August 1st. Betta is acting normal but has swelling that you can see through the cavity. Treated with Kanaplex, added salt to aquarium per Cory’s instructional. My questions are:

1. is it safe to give epsom salt baths when also dosing the aquarium with aquarium salt? 
2. should I do another round of Kanaplex, treat with API erythromycin instead, or just continue to treat with salt?

E89A73E0-4978-40EF-8DA4-115FF539B905.jpeg

• Administrators

There really isn't a good known method to treat dropsy, it's often fatal. Unfortunately there isn't a recipe for treatment as there can be different causes like different organ failure and constipation. 

On 9/24/2020 at 11:43 PM, Cory said:

There really isn't a good known method to treat dropsy, it's often fatal. Unfortunately there isn't a recipe for treatment as there can be different causes like different organ failure and constipation. 

I understand what you are saying. But in general, what is your personal opinion about giving epsom salt baths (say, every other day) while also treating the tank with aquarium salt, especially for a betta. Is it overkill, or even dangerous for the fish?

And a question for the future, how many 30% water changes before the tank is safe for a snail again? More than 4?

You’re the best, Cory. I wish you lived in Ohio.

I think dropsy is more of a symptom rather than a disease. Kind of like a cough; you can be coughing because you got an asthma attack, or because you have a cold. In one case, it is contagious, and in the other it is not. So whether or not dropsy is contagious or not depends on what was causing the dropsy. 

Here's a very graphic, but detailed video describing dropsy and some of its causes. 

• Thanks 2