AquaClear bought out by Fluval?

Allen Anderson

I recently attempted to order an AquaClear 20 filter with extra sponge as suggested in filter optimization video as well as ceramic rings...

The thing is the actual filter was out of stock not delivered so were the bio-rings. All I received was a single AquaClear 20 sponge... but the box is labeled FLUVAL with a little tiny picture of how the box was pictured previously stating "Formerly" above the image of the original AquaClear packaging.

Has Fluval bought out AquaClear? Seems so. Did they or are they changing the filter dimensions, function, operation,.. etc...??

The 20 gallon sponge seems mighty tiny to me and doesn't measure up to dimensions labeled on original AquaClear 20 sponges.

Wondering if I should now avoid acquiring a now "Fluval formerly AquaClear HOB 20 Filter"

Any advice? I couldn't find any news on the company being bought out...

I've just never used their products before till I watched that filter optimization video made me interested in their HOBs. So I only searched for them in the last couple days and every site Amazon, Petco, PetSmart, smaller online stores still all picture the old non-fluval aquaclear products/packaging.

So has the "Fluval AquaClear 20" been changed in size/dimensions/operation? Does anyone know for sure? Cause I can't figure it out searching online, no one pictures the new fluval packaging/products. Can't even find an article on Fluval buying AquaClear.

Are they still as good as they used to be? Or should I now avoid these products?

Edited by Allen Anderson

As far as I’ve heard and to my knowledge, I don’t think fluval changed anything other than branding. Now granted, I don’t have misled to compare (I actually don’t own an actual aqua clear rn just the sponge bc my HOB still works, why replace what ain’t broke). Do take that with what you will, perhaps someone else is more versed in it and can voice their experience with the rebranding and changing of the product.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd keep my current one Steph, but I bought a BioWheel HoB when I first setup my aquarium... the wheel always stops fact. Also the cubed off intake piping isn't as easy to add a pre-filter to so I'm just gonna burn 40 bucks and vastly improve my filtration. I like how aquaclear set theirs up to be ultra customizable and maximize their effectiveness.

• Like 1