how much Excel/liquid carbon is okay?

CT_

I'm currently following the dosing directions on the Excel bottle but it's not doing much to my staghorn unless I spot treat with an entire dose (1ml/10gallon ).

Can I go higher?  The bottle says do not over dose but I'm wondering what others do?

I'm not too worried about killing my val because I'm pretty angry at it.  And yes I take plant behavior personally.

Edited by CT_
typo

Everyone's mileage differs, but I have dosed first time or after water change dosage every day for several weeks. After the algae was killed off, I stopped dosing to see if I was heading in the right direction with the changes I made.

I've also dosed first dosing amounts then half the first dosing amounts every day for 2 weeks. That worked as well. 

My dwarf sag took a hit though.

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

I’ve dosed 5x the recommended amount and let it sit until the next day before water changing it out to kill algae before I don’t know what kind of plants you have but I had Java fern and frogbit in the tank the Java fern seemed to be unaffected but the frogbit did suffer quite a bit but was not killed off completely and I also did remove the fish before hand I did not want to risk them over dose at your own risk but it did kill the algae 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:16 PM, CT_ said:

I'm currently following the dosing directions on the Excel bottle but it's not doing much to my staghorn unless I spot treat with an entire dose (1ml/10gallon ).

Excel is WAY more effective as a spot treatment than a whole-tank treatment, that's the only way I use it. You can safely do twice the recommended dose. You might be able to do more but that's what I've had success with.

You can also dose hydrogen peroxide at the same time as Excel if you have a lot to spot treat, at the same rate. I use a small 5 mL syringe I got from the drug store for this so I can make sure I'm not overdosing. 

Try not to spray livestock or mosses directly with hydrogen peroxide as it is a strong reducer.

• Like 2