Identify this algae. Do I need a co2 injector?

Have a look at the included image.  I am thinking this is black beard algae or stag horn algae, but want to ask to be sure.  Right now it is only growing on a small java fern plant in my 40 gallon tank, but I dont want it to take over.

This is a newer planted tank that has a lot of smaller plants in it.  I have some Amazon sword, java fern, java moss, hornwort, water sprite, monte carlo,  scarlet temple, and a tall plant that I think is vallisneria.  I dose a couple times a week with easy green all in one, and I use root tabs as well.

Right now i have a fluval plant 3.0 light that I run at about 80% capacity for about 10 hours, and it is between 20-50% for an additional 3-4 hours.  I realize this is longer than many say to run plant lights, but I love the look of my tank in my living room and I like the lights on while I am out there.

So you guys tell me, do I need to reduce the amount of time or the brightness level of my light, do I need a co2 injector, or should I just try dosing with some liquid carbon like seachem flourish excel?

216699235_4633066163383712_1060540506344632975_n.jpg

Edited by Chris Bode
  • Like 1

I think you have some options. Dosing with Seachem Excel will help, but it can kill some plants like Vallisneria. You can tinker with the light intensity and period. Something like eight hours at 50% and five at 25% would be significantly less than what you’re doing now and you would still have the lights on the same amount of time. On my low tech in the living room I run 12 hours with a long slow ramp up to 30% then a few hours at that level followed by a long slow ramp down to zero. You could try something similar but ramping up to a higher intensity. 
Finally, you could start running Co2. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, Patrick_G said:

I think you have some options. Dosing with Seachem Excel will help, but it can kill some plants like Vallisneria. You can tinker with the light intensity and period. Something like eight hours at 50% and five at 25% would be significantly less than what you’re doing now and you would still have the lights on the same amount of time. On my low tech in the living room I run 12 hours with a long slow ramp up to 30% then a few hours at that level followed by a long slow ramp down to zero. You could try something similar but ramping up to a higher intensity. 
Finally, you could start running Co2. 

Thanks for the reply, you have confirmed many of my thoughts that I just wasn't certain about as a beginner aquarist.  I have heard that even co2 can kill vallisneria if used too much so I should keep the dosage low.  Is that correct?  If needed I can move the Vallisneria to a different tank so I can use co2 I suppose.  I heard that some of my other plants like Monte Carlo benefit from a little co2 anyway.

• Like 1