Excel Flourish melts all my Vall plants

Moscik81

Long story short i try to fight BBA with Excel Flourish and now all my Vall is melting . What to do Next ??? Cut the death leaves ( 97%) or i need to replant everything? Thank was amazing last week and today all leaves are breaking down and lost color 

2BB2FC5B-ACB3-4A3B-8C68-3AA74E6902CF.jpeg

A4F8EF59-4BDC-4603-8A1D-90641A2BB99B.jpeg

A4E5B256-DCD9-4D6F-A20A-45592EC8BDC3.jpeg

Edited by Moscik81

Wow I heard Val was sensitive to Excel but I didn't realize it was that sensitive... I have not dealt with this but IMO do water changes to get the remaining excel out, probably don't want a bunch of rotting leaves in that tank either, remove the dead leaves and hopefully the root system survived. Hopefully someone else has hands on with this.

• Like 1

any of the liquid carbon fertilizers will melt val, including excel and the co-op's easy carbon. They work great at being an algaecide but valisneria doesn't like it. In my experience, i removed the dead leaves, and the val came back over time. As long as the root structure didn't die, you should start to see new growth, as long as you don't keep dosing the excel, as the carbon is being depleted by the plants and water changes.

• Like 2

i actually used excel to kill off some val on purpose. mistakenly planted some in a high tech set up and immediately regretted it knowing that it would take over the tank within 1-2 months which isn’t what i wanted. i had a bit of an algae problem so i used excel to take care of both problems. it worked very well, as you could see in your case. id leave the plants alone and do a few partial water changes to get the excel out of the system. some of them should bounce back, it’s just a waiting game. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's a poison depending on dose. The gluteraldrahyde ingredient is very toxic to algae a little toxic to plants a sort of toxic to animals. The good news is it breaks down fast and plants can recover. Using gluteraldrahyde is a balancing act you're trying to poison the water just enough to kill algae but not enough to hurt sensitive plants. 

I had some Blackbeard breakout on some of my decorations and a few plants. I had some Excel that I stopped using when I added Val to my tank. I decided to spot treat the BBA. It works and my Val hasn’t melted. 

I didn’t treat the tank like the packaging says because I have Val and Otocinclus. I want some algae, but NOT BBA. I used the bottle recommended daily dose (1 ml per gallon I believe) and a pipet to administer the algaecide directly onto the algae. The algae does, turns brown/pink, and inhabitants eat it. 

Awww great! I just had a bottle of Easy Carbon delivered yesterday to help me clear the hair algae from my beautiful billowing jungle of Jungle Val🤦‍♂️

I'm sorry for the double post. I noticed that I had mistakingly wrote Easy Green instead of Easy Carbon. I'm still trying to get used to a new message board system. 

Edited by L.W. Wetarm