CO2 Emergency Shutoff

Hey guys, 

I have been looking at CO2 to get that nice professional “carpet” look and be able to grow things like Monte Carlo better and I’ve seen many threads on many forums where the regulator fails and dumps everything in the tank gassing the fish. This would obviously be very bad and I would feel terrible over killing a living creature in such a gruesome way as I try to treat my fish in the most humane way possible. I’m looking for an emergency shut off type valve that can automatically shut off the line if a certain amount of CO2 starts to go through it over a certain set threshold. Does anyone know of anything like this? 

Or perhaps there’s an alternative method someone knows of that I’m not aware of to safeguard against this?

Edited by Tarsas

Are you sure they were not talking about end of bottle dump?  And if your bottle is in a cool room it will only hasten this event.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/threads/when-is-there-danger-of-an-end-of-tank-co2-dump.28373/

Edit:  I always run my bottles "completely" empty and have never had a dump (knock on wood).

Edited by KBOzzie59

On 7/14/2021 at 7:10 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

Are you sure they were not talking about end of bottle dump?  And if your bottle is in a cool room it will only hasten this event.

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/threads/when-is-there-danger-of-an-end-of-tank-co2-dump.28373/

Edit:  I always run my bottles "completely" empty and have never had a dump (knock on wood).

So the regulator can’t fail and dump the gas abruptly regardless Of tank fill? I don’t mind changing my tanks before there’s an issue 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, Emil said:

You need to get a dual stage regulator, they are end of bottle dump proof.

So a dual stage is the way to avoid dumping too much gas in the event of an equipment malfunction or an end of bottle dump. Got it. Thank you!

A quality dual stage regulator from a company that stands behind its warranty is the way to go, if you then still want something that automatically measures and shuts off on top of that you need to go with a pH controller but in my experience they are more of a hassle than they are worth because you have to re-calibrate the probe each month, the calibration fluids only last so long before they expire, and you have to replace the probe every once in a while. A quality dual stage regulator by itself prevents end of tank dump and your fish will be safe and your plants happy.

There are lots of companies out there producing them but the two I'd trust are Greenleaf Aquariums made here in the U.S., and CO2 Art made in Germany, both have great warranty service  here inside the U.S. I'm using a Greenleaf Aquariums dual stage regulator on my 75 gallon tank.