Pair of Shell Dwellers in a 5 gallon

Dwayne Brown

Hi all, recently I was at one of my LFS when I saw they had a nice selection of different species of shell dwellers. I have seen these cichlids online but in person they are just so much more colorful and I find their behavior fascinating. I really want to keep these fish but I have a problem, currently I have 2 tanks 1 community 29 gallon with soft watered fish, and a 5 gallon that I am currently putting together and getting cycled. So my question is this would it be alright to put a pair or trio of any of the shell dwelling cichlid species in a 5 gallon or would it be to small. 

I really want to do some shell dwellers in the near future but I am going to say that a 5 gallon is really too small.  Others with more experience will surely chime in but that's what I am going to guess.  The really like to burrow and move their environments around to suit their needs in order for them to really thrive a bigger area is needed.  

• Thanks 1

If you do decide to get a biggr tank for them...get a longer tank than taller.....they are bottom dwelling fish and do not need all the space above....A 20 long or even a 30 breeder would be nice.  

I have my eye on the 50 gal lowboy tank for when I do mine.

• Thanks 1