More fish room considerations

Jimmy

What a fantastic forum. I reached out about electrical and became aware of so many things I hadn’t considered. Thanks guys! 
Planning phase of my small fish room somewhere in the neighborhood of 6x8 to 8x8. Heating will be done by a single 1500 watt radiant oil heater and room will be insulated to the teeth. My question is about ventilation and humidity.
if every tank has a TIGHT fitted polycarbonate lid will I still experience evap/humidity? Is it ok to cover a tank completely or does that disrupt gas exchange?

secondly, will I have to exhaust and ventilate the room or can I depend on a dehumidifier to manage moisture? It’s a partitioned room in my detach shop, so whatever “escapes” won’t be too much of a concern.

do I need a fan or would a simple side vent suffice? Will venting ruin my attempt to keep a stable temp?

this is a lot to unravel. I appreciate any feedback or considerations!

Yes the humidity will still be more than a typical room but with about 300-500 gallons of water you should be okay with a dehumidifier although venting with a bathroom fan would also work. On the topic of keeping the room warm it depends on how cold it is where you are pulling new air from. If its from the other side of your shop it should be fine as long as it isn't anything below 40 F as the air turn over will probably be small enough that your heater will barely notice a difference. My personal thoughts at least. 

Personally I would use a humidifier and figure out how to hook up the water reservoir so that it drains either straight outside or down a floor drain if you have one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, Brackon said:

Yes the humidity will still be more than a typical room but with about 300-500 gallons of water you should be okay with a dehumidifier although venting with a bathroom fan would also work. On the topic of keeping the room warm it depends on how cold it is where you are pulling new air from. If its from the other side of your shop it should be fine as long as it isn't anything below 40 F as the air turn over will probably be small enough that your heater will barely notice a difference. My personal thoughts at least. 

Personally I would use a humidifier and figure out how to hook up the water reservoir so that it drains either straight outside or down a floor drain if you have one.

This is a bit old now sorry for not responding. I will be using a small wall unit that’s only 400w. It pulls from the same room so I won’t be sucking in any new cold air. I’m a little stumped on venting and now it’s on like 3 threads which I apologize for LOL. I think I will have less than 400 gallons in a 8x8. Room temp is going to be 76. I hope I don’t need an exhaust, I think the gap under the door should be enough for an exchange. Any thoughts on just a regular old vent?

im going to wire my circuit in a way that will make it easy to add one if I need it. I’m concerned about it getting too hot in the summer or not being enough of an exchange. I will go In and out of it a few times a day, someone said that should be enough.