New 29 Gallon Tank. Stocking?

Sunny Doan

New 29 gallon tank on the left today. Not sure what I should do for the tank though. I was thinking of two options, I can have a breeding tank to make some extra cash or I try to go with a species only tank with like some sort of puffer or other personable fish. I have my 10 gallon shrimp tank and my 55 gallon tank that I am trying to save up money for angelfish. There are so many options to choose from. I'm not sure what to breed or what other personable fish to keep. Or maybe I could get something that's not a fish at all! Or I can do a really large shrimp tank. Saltwater fish only tank? Hillstream goby tank? There are so many options leave your thoughts on what I should do below! I'd prefer a planted tank because I'd like to expand the species of plants I have since selling plants is one of my only source of income, which is not very large. 

IMG_0558.jpg

A 29 gallon should be big enough for a breeding pair of angelfish if that's something you'd be interested in. 

You'd also need a grow out tank, but I'm pretty sure I recall Dean saying that one breeding pair of angelfish can finance a small fish room.

You could start with 6 and wait for them to pair up. Keep a pair and sell the rest 

3 minutes ago, gcalberto said:

A 29 gallon should be big enough for a breeding pair of angelfish if that's something you'd be interested in. 

You'd also need a grow out tank, but I'm pretty sure I recall Dean saying that one breeding pair of angelfish can finance a small fish room.

You could start with 6 and wait for them to pair up. Keep a pair and sell the rest 

I was thinking of keeping a school of angels for my 55 and if a pair comes up I can use the 29 as a grow out tank. But I also want to keep some other fish in there for when the angels aren't breeding.

22 minutes ago, Sunny Doan said:

I was thinking of keeping a school of angels for my 55 and if a pair comes up I can use the 29 as a grow out tank. But I also want to keep some other fish in there for when the angels aren't breeding.

If you do keep a pair of angels in there, they will always be breeding. Mine lay eggs every 2 weeks, which is a lot more than I can deal with 😅

That could in turn "free" the 55 gallon for a tank with personable fish, and that in my opinion is already big enough for an Oscar, which is by far the most personable fish I've ever kept. Mine would stare at me, tilt slightly to their side and change colors every time he saw me. 

He would also come to the surface to be petted by me 

Edited by gcalberto

5 hours ago, gcalberto said:

If you do keep a pair of angels in there, they will always be breeding. Mine lay eggs every 2 weeks, which is a lot more than I can deal with 😅

That could in turn "free" the 55 gallon for a tank with personable fish, and that in my opinion is already big enough for an Oscar, which is by far the most personable fish I've ever kept. Mine would stare at me, tilt slightly to their side and change colors every time he saw me. 

He would also come to the surface to be petted by me 

Yes I have thought about that as well, but my 55 gallon has all been dirted and planted and I'm afraid big fish would not do well in there. I thought about bichirs but opted for a planted tank!

42 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

A tank that size actually looks great with a nice school of cardinal or neon tetras (think 20+) and one fish to aggravate them into schooling.  Plant it up with some val, and bam you got yourself a great looking tank. 

Definitely thinking about cardinal tetras in this one, I can imagine the scape already. 

1 minute ago, Sunny Doan said:

Definitely thinking about cardinal tetras in this one, I can imagine the scape already. 

Out of all my tanks I have had over the years, my planted neon tetra tank with now a single dwarf gouramis, has brought me the most joy and relaxation out of all my tanks.  I stock it with a few octocinclus (I think 5?) and some panda cories.  If I was to redo it now over a decade later, I would change to cardinal tetras and perhaps use chain loaches in place of the cories for a cleanup crew.

16 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

Everything being said about the angelfish is spot on. That would make a cool shell dweller tank, there a nice change of pace from the planted tank and multies in particular have cool behavior to watch 

I've wanted to try a shell dweller tank, or perhaps maybe build up the rocks onto a side and let some anubias, buce, and ferns grow.