Should I Med-Trio?

OnlyGenusCaps

I've read through the forum on loads of Med-Trio stuff.  I'm looking for input though still. 

Here is the situation:

1. I have new Cyps in Qt (not quite two weeks)

2. One died about a day after arrival, which I put down to stress as it showed no signs of disease upon examination

3. This morning I lost a second fish, though it had a deformed spine and I've been watching it since it came in because of that, and it never looked great

4. The rest of the fish are eating well and active, plus showing no signs of disease

5. These are F1 gen from wild caught

6. The water is 8.4pH, so ammonium spikes are also actual ammonia spikes to some level

7. I don't really like using meds unless necessary, as pathogen resistance is a real thing

So, should I medicate, or continue to watch?  I know there are strong opinions on this topic, so I would ask that people please be respectful to each other.  I'm kind of weighing pros and cons at this point.  If another one goes, it ceases to be a quandary and I'll medicate.  But because the one I just lost had a pretty severe deformity, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.  Thanks all!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 2:09 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I've read through the forum on loads of Med-Trio stuff.  I'm looking for input though still. 

Here is the situation:

1. I have new Cyps in Qt (not quite two weeks)

2. One died about a day after arrival, which I put down to stress as it showed no signs of disease upon examination

3. This morning I lost a second fish, though it had a deformed spine and I've been watching it since it came in because of that, and it never looked great

4. The rest of the fish are eating well and active, plus showing no signs of disease

5. These are F1 gen from wild caught

6. The water is 8.4pH, so ammonium spikes are also actual ammonia spikes to some level

7. I don't really like using meds unless necessary, as pathogen resistance is a real thing

So, should I medicate, or continue to watch?  I know there are strong opinions on this topic, so I would ask that people please be respectful to each other.  I'm kind of weighing pros and cons at this point.  If another one goes, it ceases to be a quandary and I'll medicate.  But because the one I just lost had a pretty severe deformity, I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment.  Thanks all!

(Assuming by Cyps you're referring to Cyprichromis) -- are you putting them into a tank already stocked with other Tanganyikans? What else i already in there? I'd say that your concern / approach should factor into account worse-case scenarios. If you put them in, and disease passes through the tank, harming most all fish stocked, would you be Ok? If so, then maybe it's worth risking it. But if you're really concerned about your stock, IMHO finish the treatment.  

Thanks for the reply and input! 

On 7/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, Fish Folk said:

Assuming by Cyps you're referring to Cyprichromis

Yes.  Sorry, I get caught up on the short form even though depending on what people prefer, these do not always transfer.  I also use "tangs" for Tanganyikan cichlid species, and "julies" for Julidochromis.

are you putting them into a tank already stocked with other Tanganyikans?

Nope.  They came in the same order as some julies, but here everyone goes into their own cycled 20 gal Qt (quarantine) tank for 3 week upon arrival.  There are 3 Colombian rams horn snails in there with them, which were used to cycle and keep the BB (beneficial bacteria) going.  But that's it. 

Normally this is just a formality, but a habit I stick to.  I've not run into potential disease issues in the past, so this is my first foray into potentially needing to medicate (luck may have run out I guess). 

If you put them in, and disease passes through the tank, harming most all fish stocked, would you be Ok?

It is true, I'd be pretty bummed to lose all the Cyps that came in with that order.  If I could prevent deaths of otherwise healthy fish, it seems like I should.  I know fish die.  It's inevitable.  But, I'd prefer to care for the captives in my charge as best as I can.  They didn't ask to be placed into and live out their lives in a clear plastic box.  Seems like the least I can do is make it the best life possible for them.

IMHO finish the treatment

Technically, I haven't started anything.  But, I was already leaning toward going forward with treating that tank.  Thinking through my reply to you has solidified that stance.  I'll treat them today.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your advice! 

• Like 1