Nerites imitating decorative rocks

LOKelly

My husband and I have a relatively new (4 months or so) 75 gallon tank. Everything is going well, the water parameters are good. The fish, plants and mystery snails are doing well but the nerites are basically catatonic. Does anyone have any thoughts about what they may need to perk them up?

Snails do go though period of inactivity that can happen anywhere from a couple of hour to a couple of days just make sure they have plenty of calcium in there diet for shell growth  by feeding shrimp king snail stixx or add mineral blocks 

• Like 2

Nerites go into a suspend state when something is happening they don't like. Medications can do that. Lack of food like algae, biofilm etc.. (newer tanks don't typically have a lot of it). You could try dome blanched zucchini, or spinach, see if they perk up...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: One died, the other 3 are ok. They ignored zucchini. None of the survivors seem to be very active though. If this is typical, I think I prefer mystery snails. They are very active and fun to have in the tank.

On 7/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, LOKelly said:

Update: One died, the other 3 are ok. They ignored zucchini. None of the survivors seem to be very active though. If this is typical, I think I prefer mystery snails. They are very active and fun to have in the tank.

Mystery snails have way more character, in my opinion.  We have both nerites and a mystery snail, Fred, in one of our tanks, and the nerites do a FANTASTIC job cleaning the tank, but they are very nocturnal, and we hardly ever see them during the day.  They even like to hide when sleeping.

Fred, on the other hand, is a one-snail show, always doing something oddball and kooky, and full of life and personality.  He doesn't do as good with tank cleaning, but he has so much personality.

• Like 1
  • Love 1