Safe 3d printing material

Guppy Guy

I have a 3d printer and have been itching to use it for DIY aquarium decorations. Is white ABS safe for this purpose? I have also heard about PETG being safe as well. Is there a certain time frame I have before I need to replace it? Also, are there any recommendations for different filament links? I have experimented with PLA, but it is only good for 6 months. Thank you and all help is appreciated. 

Edited by Guppy Guy
Wanted to add PETG into the mix

PLA is highly biodegradable, which makes it great for experimental printing, not so great for our aquariums. PETG and ABS will both hold up just fine under water, but I recommend using PETG because it’s easier to print with in general and doesn’t have as many delamination issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/1/2021 at 7:51 AM, Nirvanaquatics said:

PLA is highly biodegradable

This is kinda a myth.  In order to compost PLA it needs to be specially processed first. 

I'm using "food grade" PLA fillament in my tank right now.  But "food grade" is a pretty annoying thing to certify so no one that I know of makes it anymore. 

Also "ABS" or "PETG" or whatever other plastics are rarely pure polymers so just that description is unfortunately not enough to go on.  I'd also shy away from ABS in general because it off gasses worse stuff than the others and who knows how long it leaches stuff after its been extruded (maybe not at all, but IDK).

As @Nirvanaquatics said, I'd go with PETG unless you have the capability of printing exotics like PP.  You can ask manufacturers and sometimes they'll tell you if their original plastic pellets were food safe (extruding it invalidates that and requires a new certification).  You'll also have to ask them if their pigments and additives are food safe.  Most, in my experience, are unwilling to directly answer because they don't want liability. 

IMO, your best best is "natural" colored PETG.  after that I'd pick black because its /usually/ carbon black which as far as I know won't poison anything. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, CT_ said:

Also "ABS" or "PETG" or whatever other plastics are rarely pure polymers so just that description is unfortunately not enough to go on.  I'd also shy away from ABS in general because it off gasses worse stuff than the others and who knows how long it leaches stuff after its been extruded (maybe not at all, but IDK).

Would this Clear PETG or black PETG work? Also, I already have this White ABS for other projects, and I have heard this is safe for aquariums too. Can you recommended one? Thank you.

"clear" usually has additives to make it clear, though in the case of PETG I'm not sure if clear and natural are the same.  You'd have to ask the maker which pigment they use in their black petg.  White is the same as clear it takes chemicals to make it.  If I had to just pick one of them I think i'd pick clear then black petg in that order, since soda bottles are also PET(G? not sure if they're glycol modified or not).

I'm cautious about ABS, but it sounds like there's anecdotal evidence that its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone! I ordered the clear PETG from amazon, and will test it in my 3 gallon experimental tank. I will share my results after 1 month of testing. As far as painting goes, I have used Krylon fusion with no problems so far. Thank you all again! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 2:47 PM, CT_ said:

I'm cautious about ABS, but it sounds like there's anecdotal evidence that its fine.

I think the off-gassing of ABS is only a concern if there is a large piece in a very small covered water container with no water movement.

• 1 month later...

Finally got something half decent from the PETG. It isn’t for the inside of the tank, but it will be in contact with water(I never take it off). Introducing…….

THE NET CLIP!!!!!

Still trying to get a good looking decoration. It isn’t pretty, but at least the clip works 😃  

1E671CA8-DC0A-4EC3-B551-FC97CC0198AD.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s not the temperature, it won’t stick to the build plate. I need to order a Wham bam build plate so I won’t have this issue. Also, I need to fix some cooling and layer adhesion issues as well. It might help if I become a little more patient(which will never happen) and turn down the print speed from 90 mm/s to 40-50 mm/s (which might happen 🙃)