Easy cycle in 9 days

Bill

I tried the method of cycling with Dr. Tims ammonia as described here:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2-4-cycling-with-ammonia/

and using Black Kow as inoculate as described here:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2-11-inoculate-for-cycling/

1. Setup tank and filter with hardscape, no lights, no plants, and a good size airstone and set temperature at 84 degrees F.
2. Handful of Black Kow in bio bag positioned over airstone, and 1/4 teaspoon of Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster.
3. Added Dr. Tims 4 drops per gallon every day, regardless of the ammonia and nitrite levels.

The tank cycled in 9 days, which is exactly in line with the table at the bottom of the second link above. 

I would definitely use this method in the future.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ben Ellison said:

One thing I have often wondered  is does the more ammonia you use mean the more fish you can add as soon as it cycles? Or would it not really  matter because  the bacteria can't grow any faster?

I'm a software engineer, not a biologist or chemist, so I leave leave it to them for explanations. Apparently Dr. Tim has reasons for saying not to add any ammonia on subsequent days if the levels are still high, but Dave from aquariumscience disagrees. If you look at the links above you'll see that he references some papers on it, as well as his own experiment that anyone can reproduce, so I went with that. I also should have mentioned, its the filter that is being cycled, not the tank. I was using a Fluval 207 with the factory sponges and K1 media in the upper trays. This was also based on Dave's discussion of filter media.

Edited by Bill

well in theory, just like if snails have to much food, a larger presence of food (food being ammonia) more bacteria would breed so you could keep more as long as you gave it time to reproduce. 

2 hours ago, Ben Ellison said:

One thing I have often wondered  is does the more ammonia you use mean the more fish you can add as soon as it cycles? Or would it not really  matter because  the bacteria can't grow any faster?