Snail Id

ErinV

I had a few hitch hikers a month or so ago on some plants. Snails are friends. Just want to be able to add what kind they are to my list of what's in my tank. Help please.

I have also noticed that my trumpet snails seem to be going white. I know this has something to do with calcium but I am a bit confused as we have hard water. Maybe I am messing that up. I have had them in my tank for years. Only learned to love them in the last 2 years. I have noticed this in correlation with add more life plants in the last few months. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone.

20210603_215937.jpg

20210603_215921.jpg

1624491295380409246625967015440.jpg

* I think the UFO snails are leopard ramshorns

* All of my older trumpet snails have similar (or far worse) "whitening" at the rear of their shells.  I think it's just part of becoming "wise and old snails" and is due to the day in and day out abrasion against the substrate, decor, glass, etc. rather than water parameters or any diet or mineral deficiency. 

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 7:47 PM, NanoNano said:

* I think the UFO snails are leopard ramshorns

* All of my older trumpet snails have similar (or far worse) "whitening" at the rear of their shells.  I think it's just part of becoming "wise and old snails" and is due to the day in and day out abrasion against the substrate, decor, glass, etc. rather than water parameters or any diet or mineral deficiency. 

LOVE 'wise and old snails'. Also like the idea of having Ramshorns. Will have to read up on them now.