Otocinclus and Algae

Tyler LaZerte

I got three Otocinclus vittatus on Saturday and they seem to be doing well so far. They are from a person who bought them to help his diatom problem and they did the trick. Now I have them because I think their personalities are great and they have the added bonus of being algae eating machines, from what I hear! I have them in a 16 gallon with a lot of diatoms and minor string algae (it's a month old set up). They haven't taken to eating any diatoms yet but their bellies are plump and they are active as all get out. Do you think they may just be full and that's why they aren't eating the diatoms? Could it be that they haven't fully adjusted to their new digs? They were eating the Xtreme Nano I put in for my Panda Corys so I know they've eaten a little bit. I just want to make sure they'll eat the diatoms and have plenty of them! TIA 

On 6/21/2021 at 11:41 PM, Tyler LaZerte said:

Just need to get a lid so they don't go on nightly strolls in my apartment 🤣

I have 3 rimless tanks without covers, all have several Nerites.  Never had to pick one up off the floor yet.

Can’t say the same about my Mystery Snails though, with them it’s like a weekly occurrence.  You’d be surprised how long they can survive out of water!

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Like 1