Killifish for 5 gallon

Dwayne Brown

I started a topic related to Rice fish in a 5 gallon. However I am now wondering if Killifish would be a better choice. Here are my questions.

What type of killifish would do best in a 5 gallon ( I am thinking gardeneri or orange australe)

Could I have 2 a male and female in a 5 gallon or would they fight.

Anyone have hands on experience with this? any advice or anything to watch out for.

• Love 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:47 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

I started a topic related to Rice fish in a 5 gallon. However I am now wondering if Killifish would be a better choice. Here are my questions.

What type of killifish would do best in a 5 gallon ( I am thinking gardeneri or orange australe)

Could I have 2 a male and female in a 5 gallon or would they fight.

Anyone have hands on experience with this? any advice or anything to watch out for.

Yes! You can do a single pair of adults in the Fundulopanchax family.

Here’s our male Fundulopanchax Scheeli...

F2F30DF5-0242-4112-BD9A-D046424DA953.jpeg.4a34164142dea8d0e5d674f39c586a70.jpeg

Here’s our colony of his offspring...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow wonderful aquarium. I know a 5 gallon is small but could I expect them to breed and any fry to survive? and also I read a lot about aggression between males and females have you ever experienced it? 

On 6/15/2021 at 2:59 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yes! You can do a single pair of adults in the Fundulopanchax family.

Here’s our male Fundulopanchax Scheeli...

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, Colu said:

Clown killifish would be great for a 5 gallon

I was thinking about getting clown killies but my budget really doesn't allow it. My thinking is I could get 6 clown killies they are about 18 dollars each at my lfs (the only place I know of that has them. of course being in seattle their must be some other place) or for 18 bucks I can get a male female pair of orange australe or gardneri killifish. 

I have a pair of garnderi killies in a densely planted 5.5 gallon.  They've done very well--haven't had any aggression issues and they look good.  A little disappointed that we ended up with the "gold" version since we're all blue fans around here, but they stand out nicely against the plants.