How would one properly dose down c02 in order to prevent algae?

PaigeGlamelin

I have 10 gallon heavily planted tank I was running c02 on to help start the carpet, I did not know a full army of bba and green algae would attack once I removed it, so I'm currently trying to balance that tank out. At the moment I have another tank with c02 being injected and would like to know the proper way to dose down so I can prevent what happened to my other tank. Would decreasing the solenoid timer by one hour each week do it?

My next question is if I were to move any plant from this tank to another without c02 injection would it immediately get covered in algae?

Thank you!

Edited by PaigeGlamelin
added
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 10:02 AM, PaigeGlamelin said:

I have 10 gallon heavily planted tank I was running c02 on to help start the carpet, I did not know a full army of bba and green algae would attack once I removed it, so I'm currently trying to balance that tank out. At the moment I have another tank with c02 being injected and would like to know the proper way to dose down so I can prevent what happened to my other tank. Would decreasing the solenoid timer by one hour each week do it?

My next question is if I were to move any plant from this tank to another without c02 injection would it immediately get covered in algae?

Thank you!

Sorry your inquiry /  post has lingered long without good feedback. I am not any expert with CO2 dosing, so please take these comments  in stride considering that.

It seems like backing out with time is one good option. Another is backing off your flow via a regulating bubble counter. Remember that plants of course only process CO2 when the light is on, but require Oxygen for respiration when lights go off.

As a general rule, the best way to avoid algae is to have all of your nutrients, lighting, and dissolved gasses fully used by plants so that there is no excess that algae can rally on. It is where there is _too much_ of an element where algae takes off.