Maracyn + Salt for Columnaris

Ben C.

Hello!

Unfortunately I've spotted a small patch of columnaris on one of my leopard danios in QT - I've already dosed Ich-X (was already treating for it) and put one treatment of maracyn in today, although I'm still concerned because..well I've never hard anything survive columnaris unfortunately. Would it be helpful to supplement with a low amount of aquarium salt, or do you think the meds are enough/salt would add just more stress? Thanks!

From what I understand, Columnaris is gram-negative, while Maracyn (Erythromycin) treats gram positive. You would need Maracyn 2, which treats gram negative. 

A recommended option for Columnaris would be a combo of Furan 2 and Kanaplex. If you go the gram-negative med route, just be aware that it may harm your beneficial bacteria and cause a cycle bump.

• Like 2

Yes...I find that strange too. I had to treat 2 separate platys for Columnaris, and did some pretty extensive reading on it. There was a pretty thorough article on the fishlab website that was helpful.

In the first case, a platy with white lips where the upper lip was regressing, I tried the recommended Furan 2 + Kanaplex treatment. I did the full course twice....plus salt. No improvement. I did buy Maracyn 2, which is considered an alternate option for treating Columnaris, but to be honest, I never tried it.

I did a bit more reading, which led me to Sulfa based meds. I originally searched for Seachem Sulfaplex, but couldn't find it. I was able to find API Triple Sulfa. I did one course, and noticed significant improvement. Did one more round, and the white, bleached lips on the fish regained color.

The second fish had the white "saddleback" symptoms, which is a more common symptom. I went right for the Triple Sulfa, and the color of the fish came back in one course of treatment.

....Just my experience, but hope it helps!

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1

@quikv6 thanks for the thorough advice! I will definitely pick up the sulfa meds, and if I can't find those, maracyn 2. The columnaris is not progressing, and everyone is still eating like pigs, so I will wrap up this treatment and begin the next one as long as it holds / doesn't get worse. Really hope he pulls through. 

@quikv6 unfortunately things are deteriorating quick. Worst shipment of fish I've ever gotten...I keep all fish I receive in a seasoned QT tank that I've had set up for over a year (keeping the cycle going between usage by feeding the resident snail colony), with floating plants for cover and nutrient control, feeding live food, the whole nine yards..and they've just dropped like flies. The rasboras that came with them were all gone within 4 days. All parameters in check despite the meds. One danio has lost motor control this morning and the one with columnaris has it spreading. I'll look into combining antibiotics, but I might just have to chock it up as a loss. This why you QT I suppose...